• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Variable data - ignore blank cells in the csv

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking and looking for a solution to have variable printing ignore a blank cell in my file.  I've tried adding a space into the cell, as well as every combination of " ", ' ', " [space] –– no luck.  I am now reading that you shouldn't have blank cells but is there truly no workaround?

To create the csv I'm working in Google Sheets if that matters – I've also edited the file using text editor so I don't believe it should.

TOPICS
Feature request , Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

I had the same issue - worked round it by adding an additional visibility column in the .csv

Eg.

Column_A,Column_A_visible

Data 1,TRUE

,FALSE

Data 2,TRUE

And then mapped 'Make visibility dynamic' to this field for the columns that contain blanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

This works in my case, great.

Instead of the website you mention, since we are in Illustrator anyway, we can obtain the character by entering it in a text object through

Illustrator --> Type --> Insert WhiteSpace Character --> Em Space

and then copy-ing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When doing variable data you may need to some cleaning in your data before merging. One option can be to merge the data from several fields to preprocess the data. There is also a script for variable data in illustrator, don't know if that opens a solution. See Adobe Illustrator Variable Data Importer - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com › watch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the text objects in your template are empty.  Otherwise, they will switch back to the original text when Illustrator encounters an empty field in the data set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That isn't what happened to me, I have 5 text boxes, corresponding to 5 columns in a CSV.  For each row, only one of any of the 5 columns contain a value.

When I cycle through the datasets, the text box only updates for a valid value, and keeps the previous values if they're blank, so my my text boxes look like this when I cycle through the datasets:

First row has "A" in col 3:

[   ]  [   ] [ A ]  [   ] [   ]

Second row has "B" in col 4:

[   ]  [   ] [ A ]  [ B ] [   ]

Third row has "C" in col1:

[ C ]  [   ] [ A ]  [ B ] [   ]

Fourth row has "D" in col5

[ C ]  [   ] [ A ]  [ B ] [ D ]

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick fix for anyone still searching,

copy an empty character from emptycharacter.com

paste that in the blank cell. You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a good idea, but I tried it for mine and it doesn't work. I get a character that looks like a box with an X thru it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @default4idfpndkfegd,

We are sorry to hear about the trouble. If you are getting a character like shown in the following screenshot, then I would like to inform you that it is a known issue while copy-pasting, and we are currently investigating it.

Anshul_Saini_1-1651871733199.png

You may upvote this UserVoice (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/43954350-why-do...) and add your comment there.

By doing this, you will get an update when it is fixed.

If this is not the issue you are facing, then I would request you to share a few details like:

• OS & version of Illustratoror
  • A small video demonstrating the issue
  • Download link to the sample file
  • Is this happening with all the files?

We will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you guys solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, me too, I don't think this works for variable import.  I think the reply from Anshul is about regular copy / paste.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works in my case, great.

Instead of the website you mention, since we are in Illustrator anyway, we can obtain the character by entering it in a text object through

Illustrator --> Type --> Insert WhiteSpace Character --> Em Space

and then copy-ing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  I had a idea that I could put loads of spaces followed by a character that would be outside of the textbox so the textbox looked blank... however just found out that Illustrator removes preceding and trailing whitespace...  which is odd and unnecessary really.

Edit: just been doing some more research into Illy Variables.  Conclusion: What a frickin shite system.  It literally does nothing useful, unless you're prepared to put loads of time into it, in which case you're better off creating a Word mailmerge, InDesign template or just dong it manually.  It would be quicker to write a html / Javascript webpage to run through the data and save as PDF then it would be to do it in Illy.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue - worked round it by adding an additional visibility column in the .csv

Eg.

Data 1,TRUE

,FALSE

Data 2,TRUE

And then mapped 'Make visibility dynamic' to this field for the columns that contain blanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and I am not sure where to enter 

Data 1,TRUE

,FALSE

Data 2,TRUE

Any help is much appreciated as I am not a coder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add an extra column in your spreadsheet and name it "#visible" (the "#" is important as it later defines if it's visible or not). Below you add the funktion "=not(ISBLANK(C2))" so when C2 is blank you get a FALSE and if it's not blank you get a TRUE. 

In Illustrator you make the desired object "make text dynamic" and also "make visibility dynamic". Then you replace the reference name "Variable1" next to the eye-symbol with "visible" as that's the actual name of your added column "#visible". You may need to reload the csv-file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Christoph286895045j4q, is it possible if you record short video regarding this matter and post it here how you utilize it? I understood spreadsheet part, but it did not work in Ai.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same question and was never able to solve it even after following the advice shared here. I simply turned to InDesign because it alreadu has an "ignore blank data fields" options built into its data merge funcitonality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines