• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator will not allow clipped image on dartboard

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the latest version of Illustrator. I have a very large image, 210" wide, that I have clipped to a size around 120". Much to my amazment, Illustrator does not know I have clipped the image. It won't let me move it to the edge of the artboard, insisting that it is bigger than 120". What? When I clip an object that means I do not care about the parts that are that is gone. That is why it is gone. I have never had a situation where I wanted to do anything with the obscured part of a clipped image. Has anyone? Why does Illustrator think I do? I cannot believe that in over 26 revisions, Illustrator still does not treat a 120" clipped image as if it were any other 120" wide image. I bet if Freehand were still around we would not be seeing massive holes in the application like this one. Is there a work around to this? It is a vector file, so I can't crop it in Photoshop. Thanks.

MHBrown

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, probably there may be a workaround, but in order to check that, you would have to provide your file for inspection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you will have better success if you open the image in Photoshop, and crop it there (and save as a new name if you need the uncropped versions). Then place the cropped image in Illustrator. When you go to print or have to transfer the file to go somewhere else will be faster. I would recommend the .PSD format also.

Not sure why your 210" is giving you trouble, but if you provide a zoomed out screenshot with your time slected that might shed some light on what you are doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, Mike (G.), the other Mike already stated that he is going to keep it as a vector file and therefore cannot or does not want to crop it in Photoshop.

So, as far as I can see your suggestion is not an option in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines