• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator won't let me select graph type

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been creating graphs in Illustrator for years. Now for some reason I can't select the type of graph - it only does line graphs. I can't right-click on it to bring up the other options like I used to, and when I use Object/Graph/Type and select a different type, it still creates a line graph. I have uninstalled and re-installed Illustrator, restarted my computer. What am I missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

It's possible you're using a workspace where not all of the tools are in the toolbar, and so you're not seeing the other options. You could try another workspace. It appears the graph tools appear in Essentials Classic. Or,  go to the three dots at the bottom of the toolbar, and look for the other graph tools there. Then you can drag them onto the toolbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried trashing your Illustrator preferences? Hopefully, resetting Illustrator back to its defaults will fix the issue.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which Illustrator’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that Illustrator is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N).With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe Illustrator <Version #> Settings” (earlier versions of Illustrator might just say “Adobe Illustrator”) and the file called “com.adobe.Illustrator.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When Illustrator is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

For Windows Users: You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching Illustrator and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so:

On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator [version number]\ Settings\<Language>. Make sure that Illustrator is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create  new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i am trying to edit this chart following a turorial, i right click on it to get to Object/Graph/Type but it's not highlighted. What am i doing wrong?

In fact, if i go to Object in the menu none of the options in the dropdown menu are highlighted. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot of what you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you for responding, i just figured out that i need to close the data window, and then it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible you're using a workspace where not all of the tools are in the toolbar, and so you're not seeing the other options. You could try another workspace. It appears the graph tools appear in Essentials Classic. Or,  go to the three dots at the bottom of the toolbar, and look for the other graph tools there. Then you can drag them onto the toolbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, switching to Essentials Classic worked! I don't know how it got switched from that, but I will know to check that in the future. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you don't have to do anything to let Illustrator switch. It has been decided that newer versions of the application just try to cloak some less-used tools and windows, just like they try to stimulate the use of the half-baked Properties panel...

Fortunately, there's still that Classic flavour !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it’s fun that Adobe messes with menus etc with each upgrade as it means I get a chance to exercise my brain and anger management.
Thanks to the developers with time on their hands and willing to make using this stuff so full of surprises while ignoring the serious shortcomings of the software. That's what we pay for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines