• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator won't open files or new document

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, yesterday I opened illustrator to start work and I couldn't open a file I was working on the day before, nor can I create a new document.
I haven't changed anything or done anything different.
If I reinstall an older version everything works fine, its just the latest version that I am having the issue with. The rest of the CC collection is working fine.

I can open other file formats in illustrator such as tif, jpeg but if I try and open ai. or PDF files it comes up with the error warning.

Running latest CC on 2017 iMacScreen Shot 2018-03-29 at 08.51.31.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Try trashing your Illustrator preferences.

To do so:

With Illustrator closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe Illustrator <Version #> Settings” (earlier versions of Illustrator might just say “Adobe Illustrator”) and “com.adobe.Illustrator.plist”. When Illustrator is ne

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your Illustrator preferences.

To do so:

With Illustrator closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe Illustrator <Version #> Settings” (earlier versions of Illustrator might just say “Adobe Illustrator”) and “com.adobe.Illustrator.plist”. When Illustrator is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files in this manner is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply, I had so much work to get through I didn't have time to update and try this fix.

it worked perfectly and I can now open all file formats within illustrator.

Thank you for the input.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually use Illustrator 2021 ver. 25.2.2 and I swear the god there is no such files on the location you suggested. I have many issues that popped up all of a sudden, files that I can't open (I can see all the tools and boards but not the image itself), keyboard shortcuts malfunctions, that all lead to a spinning wheel. Examples: command-n will pop-up the window of a new file with a spinning wheel, touching command-y in an opened file, spinning wheel also. I did not try all of the shortcuts. I reinstalled totally version 25.2.2 with the destroy any previous stuff on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue – I've searched my entire desktop and do not have com.adobe.Illustrator.plist nor the Adobe Illustrator Settings file. I am running Creative Suite including other Adobe products and there is a file called com.adobe.CSXS.4.plist. Should I delete that to reset Illustrator's preferences? I assume it will also revert settings for all my other Adobe apps back to default, is that correct? I do not see a settings file for CC, is the .plist file enough to reset? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

There is a button to reset preferences in Preferences > General.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the Illustrator setting, preferences, etc.: https://www.vektorgarten.de/illustrator-settings.html

Just in case you need them one by one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, a few more clarifications needed please...how do i go about launching a finder window? What do you mean by home folder, don't have an option key, 

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Michelle23100269xdox @mattm27462204,

Sorry for the trouble. In addition to @Monika Gause @Doug A Roberts suggestion, you may try the following manual steps if you are using Illustrator CC 2020, 2021, or 2022:

Please try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

• Try running the app in Safe Mode  (MacWindows) & Root/ Hidden Admin account (MacWindows)?
  • For MAC
    • Close all Adobe applications.
    • Go to the following locations
    • ~/Library/Caches
    • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
    • ~/Library/Preferences
    • Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings.old
    • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Note: Location starting with this "~" sign indicates the User Library, which is hidden. So, you need to copy & paste the exact path in spotlight search or from Finder Menu > Go > Go to Folder > Paste the location in the dialog box like this:

Anshul_Saini_3-1650505236018.png

• For Windows

- Close all Adobe applications.
    - Go to Location C:\Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
    - Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings.old
    - Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

I hope it helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which system?

Is a pinter connected and turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know how  to do this on windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to be encountering this issue more often, and Bill Silbert has offered options that have worked for some however i hit a snag in sentence one 😞
So these were my steps and it may work for you

1st attempt to open it directly

2nd: go to creative cloud and try to open it there

3rd (of late this has come through) Go to adobe creative cloud your files double click on the file you need, it will open the art in your browser. Here at the top right corner is an option next to share-Open in Illustrator. Click on this. It has worked for me and hope it does for you as well. All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines