Illustrator won't open .pdf files

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to open pdf files in illustrator and I've tried a number of things

- directly changing the file to .ai but it won't open

- uninstalling and installing the latest version of adobe

- deleting all the preferences for illustrator in my library folder.

Illustator will launch, and it will open a blank document, but whenever I try to open a pdf file it will say not responding and won't open it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Unless the PDF has been saved from Illustrator with "Illustrator editability" turned on, you are not opening, but importing it. Importing might or might not work.

Prepression: The Ten Commandments of PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless the PDF has been saved from Illustrator with "Illustrator editability" turned on, you are not opening, but importing it. Importing might or might not work.

Prepression: The Ten Commandments of PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you need to open a PDF in Illustrator?

If it's to edit the PDF, do it in Acrobat. Here's a video about it: http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2015/08/edit-pdfs-like-never-before-in-acrobat-dc/

If opening the PDF (importing) does not work, the following might (but you will probably get some error messages and strange results if it does open). I do not recommend opening PDFs (that are not Illustrator PDFs), but if it's an absolute emergency and you really need to open the PDF in Illustrator, look under Tools in Acrobat and choose Edit PDF. Then click and drag across everything in the PDF to select all objects. In the Edit Using menu, choose Adobe Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, if it did not open (import) directly through Illustrator, my Acrobat workaround will probably not work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The pdf i created in indesign refused to open in illustrator, everytime i opened it either with import or just right click and open, an empty screen is what was opening, even though i made sure illustrator compatibiility was checked on, and imported all the pages, then i figured, that some of the links were missing like pictures, once i was able to relink them, it worked fine after that. try to make sure there are no mising links on ur pdf. hope it works for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines