• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image colors distorted. Images changed to <CLIP GROUP> WHY? HOW?

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, All.

I recently upgraded computers and now i'm using the 2022 version of Illustrator. Had been using 2020 without this issue.

So, essentially, if i open an AI file, i sometimes find that some of the placed JPG/PNG images (seems random) are now faint and/or discolored, and in the LINKS palette, instead of an image name, it says <Clip Group> ->  <Image>

But, some of the images that appear as normal also have the same names in the LINKS palette. 

I've never encountered this before. The images are not masked. 

What gives? 

I'm also having a problem with my Mac Studio not indexing files properly—i can't find files in Spotlight that are obviously there. Could this be related? Illustrator looking for files and not finding the names? But, if so, why would two files in the same place be represented differently? One looks fine, and the other is washed out and has its colors freaked?

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you perhaps show screenshots?

Whre are the linked files located?

Does Illustrator have full disk access?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. 

Here are two screenshots. I made a test file, with a random sampling of images: JPGs, vectors, screenshots, in various locations/on different drives on my system.

The first image is the file as i saved it. I then closed the file, and opened it seconds later. 

In other instances, there might be a yellow box around the screwy image. In this instance, the image just fades with distorted color. 

I saved the .AI file with • Create PDF compatible; • Include Linked Files; • Embedd ICC Profiles; and • Use Compression.

The exact same thing happens without compression enabled.

The three logos across the middle are vectors. The other images are PNGs. I think JPGs might be unaffected—at least in this test file. PNGs are being converted to Clip Masks when i save the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please embed images in your post? It's difficult to compare them when they are linked.

Where are the files located?

Where are files saved?

How is color management set up?

Do you save directly to a network drive? That can lead to file corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DId some more googling, and found this:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/35929054-illustrator-wo...

So, apparently, it's a bug in Illustrator, that was carried into later versions of the app. 

Per one suggestion in this thread, if you save the PNG as 8bit, sRGB, it will save and reopen normally. I just did this with the "Arrived" PNG logo in my test file. I opened the PNG in Photoshop, and then saved it, and it was already 8bit, and sRGB was already ticked in the save option. When i placed it alongside the older version of that same PNG, and saved the file, closed it and reopened it, the old file was negative/distorted, and the resaved file was fine. 

So, going forward, i guess that's going to have to be part of my process—resaving every PNG. I have also changed my OS so that screenshots i capture going forward will be JPGs instead of PNGs (using the Terminal command). 

This kinda blows.... I have a LOT of PNGs i have to deal with, and a lot of them are placed in very intricate, lengthy documents. I have to verify all my images each time i open/save/send a document. For a busy graphic designer, that's a ton of documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines