• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image looks blurry when saved as JPEG or PNG...HELP!

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2011 Dec 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fellow designers!

I am just getting back into design and am having a bit of an issue. I have created a business card in Illustrator CS5 for a potential client. To submit it to the client it needs to be in JPEG or PNG format. When I export the document as a jpeg or png it ends up looking very blurry. Not sure if my settings are wrong or really what to do! This seems like such a simple issue but I am having a very hard time. Please help! Thanks so much!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the option - File -> Save For Web and Devices, versus exporting directly as a JPG or PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Melissa,

Is Align to Pixel Grid on or off (you can see it in the Transform panel)?

Do you have Anti-Alias on or off (in Save for Web (& Devices) it is hidden away in the Image Size Window)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, what should the settings be? How do those things make a difference, I'm having a similar issue. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just take a screenshot of your work? That way you decide the size and what the client sees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a soultion to this?  I am having a similar problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/How+do+I+share+a+folio%3F  schrieb

Did you find a soultion to this?  I am having a similar problem.

When saving a PNG or JPEG, you create raster images. It's not vector anymore. Don't expect to be able to enlarge it or zoom in.

When setting resolution of that file too low it cannot contain all the detail you would like to be in it and therefore it will look blurry or pixelated or whatever. It's inferior quality, it won't behave like an Illustrator file at all.

That said:

Why do you think you need a pixel image?

How large do you export the image?

What amount of detail should be in it?

Please sho a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. If your on windows like me, you will find the save to web under the export option when going under file. Click that and make sure it is PPEG-24 or whatever and then you have to click interlaced and that it is transparent I am not sure if that changes anything but do it just in case. Then,  press export as and make sure it is png or jpeg and double check that the interlaced option is checked. It is possible that you may need to do it even if you already pressed it previously. Afterwards, it should be pretty clear !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am not sure if that changes anything"

There is no PPEG-24

Interlaced is not transparent AND interlaced doesn't have anything to do with blurriness.

PNG or JPEG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could save the AI as an EPS file, then open that file in Photoshop at whatever size you like when the dialog appears, and then save as a JPG or PNG to see if the file looks better. Is there a reason why the client can't view the design in a PDF, which you will need to prepare anyway in order to print the cards?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please leave out EPS of that workflow.

Save the AI file with PDF compatibilty and then you can import it into Photoshop via opening or placing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa i have the same trouble with the retina display and so... what you need to do is the same image but a higer dpi. if you generate 72dpi files will looks blury.

In photoshop make your canvas at the size you need (500px x 300px) at 300 dpi. Hide the background if you need the transparency and the save as png (other wise if you use save for web will low the dpi to 72). So the file will be at the size you need  but a major dpi. cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am facing a similar issue.

I need to export a screenshot of our software app for the Microsoft store submission in the specific size 1280px 721px. 

I took a screenshot of the original image and added some re-branding to it in Xd. Usally I export from Xd into PDF and then save PDF into a PNG to get a better resolution image. (no idea why saving a PNG from Xd makes it so pixalated 😕 realy disapointing). Anyways, in this case saving as PDF and then as PNG changes the file dimension from 1280px 721px into 3556 × 2003 that has resolution 200 and ensures quality image. Exporting from PDF at 72 resolution keeps the image at the right size 1280pz 721px but then the image looks terrible.  

I tried to bring the image into Photoshop and created a canvase size 1280px 721px and set rtesolution to 300. I set image settings to preserve details, reduce noise 100. I tried Save for web > PNG, Quick export as PNG as well as Export as > PNG. All of them resulted in a blured/pixalated image. 

If anyone knows how I can create an image of size size 1280px 721px with crisp resolution in PNG or JPG please help. 

Is it even possible to take a screenshot, import it into the Adobe product (e.g. Xd), add some custom icons to it and export it at desired dimension with a high resolution? My requirements are image dimension: 1280px 721px, file size less than 1MB, resolution at least 200dpi, file type: PNG or JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't edit screenshots in vector based applications, because then when exporting they will get resampled.

Make your edits in a pixel based app.

If you need to provide images in specific pixel dimensions, then changing the resolution doesn't make things better. Just leave it alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm ready to pull my hair out, which is bad because there's not that much to begin with.

My intent is to display the artwork, I end up with, on a site that creates fine art prints. Their criteria is JPG or PNG at 300dpi, minimun 3000 pixels on smallest side, and a max file size of 100MB.

Here's my sequence using Illustrator 2022CC: I download a royalty free jpg photo from the web.

I open the photo in illustrator after setting the artboard size per the printer's size specs.

I go to image trace and select low or high res photo (I've tried both), small number of colors for my application.

I then go to properties/expand. I retain the expand borders and do my mods to the piece.

I then go to file/export as jpg or png. I've tried virtually every option in either sceanrio. I've tried a formula espoused by an illustartor pro that is supposed to correct the image size disparity as a result of Illustrator's "default" 72dpi regardless of selecting 300dpi at any of the opportrunities presented along the way. I've tried object/rasterize. I've also imported the vector file into Serif  Draw Plus to convert into jpg. (don't have photoshop)

Guess what, everything I've tried results in a pixelated mess on the printer's website.

Please advise. BTW, I'm relatively new to Illustrator (6 mos).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm ready to pull my hair out, which is bad

By @Ted27262800n567

Please don't post this into every available thread. Create your own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be patient, I'm new to all of this. Is this the proper thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check out this help article on how to create a new thread (or topic): https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/community-tips.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a big BLUE button on the Illy home page that says "Post to community".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines