Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing data from excel to Illustrator or Indesign

New Here ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a client for whom I have to design catalog with more than 5000 products distributed in groups of 50 to 200. 

The idea is to have one main catalog with all the products. Since some of the clients customers buy only specific goups I will have to male small catalogs/brochures with total of, let's say, 500 to 1000 products.

My clients has all the data in excele table. I was wondering of there is some way/add-on/extension or some other way to design tables in InDesign/Illustrator with same values (product number/picture/size...) as my client has in excel so I can "auto import" data.  Furthermore, every category is changing every few months (adding lets say new sizes, removing some other). Because of that I'll need to update all the POS and was wondering if there is some solution to make my life easier rather than making POS from scratch every few months.

Thank you all in advance!

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting , Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Do yourself a favour and do this in InDesign.

The function is called Data Merge. If you need more functionality there are plugins that give you that.

On top of that you can combine multiple InDesign files in Books (with automization of page numbering and several text variables).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do yourself a favour and do this in InDesign.

The function is called Data Merge. If you need more functionality there are plugins that give you that.

On top of that you can combine multiple InDesign files in Books (with automization of page numbering and several text variables).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Monika for the help and for the really quick response! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines