Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inaccuracies with pen tool

New Here ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having major issues in drawing and tracing with my pen tool. At unpredictable moments, the pen tool stops working at peak level, in which it's unable to follow my commands with exactitude. In other words, I'm unable to draw or trace with exactness. Instead, the pen tool "jumps" to locations just a bit off from where I'm directing it to be - behaving in a jagged manner and having a delayed response - thus preventing me from creating the vectors I want to create, and completing my work.

Does anyone else deal with this issue?

What can be done to solve it?

When I call Adobe for help, the support team also seems unsure as to why this is occurring - because after running numerous tests, they claimed it had to do with one specific file, rather than the program itself. But this happens frequently, with different files.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts -

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version, which system, which hardware?

Please provide a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe CC 2017 21.1.0

2015 Macbook Pro

I don't know what you mean by which system - can you elaborate?

What would I provide a screenshot of? The issue is the movement of the cursor, in that it jumps to inexact places and is not modular in its movement. I am not sure how to capture that - would any particular way of taking the screenshot help?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rd176,

I believe by screenshot Monika meant if you can show us the issue, in this case, it could be a screen-recording as a screenshot would not be able to show the issue. Are you using any third party plugin or device like Wacom? Did you try resetting the preferences? If not, you can try that. See: How to set preferences in Illustrator

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I'm having the same problem all of a sudden. The anchor points are about 5 pixels off. You'd put the pen tool in a specific location, and it gets put elsewhere. Additionally, I can't draw in precise angles. Once again, the lines also seem to snap to a point other than intended. Has a solution to this been found yet?

Is there a way to re-install Illustrator to resolve this? Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrtaor
  • Is the issue related to a specific document or all?
  • Could you please share a sample document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Are you using a touchpad or mouse?
  • A small video demonstrating the issue could be really helpful.
  • Does resetting Illustrator Preferences ( https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) help to resolve the issue?
    Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

If resetting preferences doesn't help, then you can uninstall the application using the CC Cleaner tool and reinstall from the Creative Cloud Desktop app. Let us know how it goes.

We will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul:

Thanks for the quick response.

I’m on an iMac, using OS 11.5.2., Illustrator 25.4.1. It seems to be happening on all the illustrator documents.

I’ve re-set the Illustrator preferences and it doesn’t have any effect on the performance.

I’ve made no changes, or updated any software recently. I’m using a mouse.

I’ll upload the file to CC for you to take a look at. The link is: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/9adeccc5-7d0e-4678-46eb-75dc850f3ef0

Please take a look and let me know if you’ve got the same problem, and if so, I’ll re-install illustrator.

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Doug Pyron
{Personal Details Removed}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the details and file. I was unable to replicate your issue on the document you shared. Please uncheck/ disable every snap option in the View menu and see if that helps resolve the issue. If it doesn't, then you may try uninstalling using the CC cleaner tool as I suggested above.

Anshul_Saini_0-1631630758970.png

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anshul:

Shutting off all the snap to options in the view menu worked. Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Doug Pyron

Personal details removed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

problem fixed 

https://youtu.be/QSAgE6eFxHg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@İhsan28533186ngo8  schrieb:

problem fixed 

So maybe you could explain what you are showing in that video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i took the solution of the problem related to pentool above to the video

Dear Monika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't get what you are trying to explain with that video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines