Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Incorrect dimensions in 'info' panel

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

Have tried to resolve this with Adbobe support who were useless and insisteed on wanting remote access to my work laptop.

In Illustrator 2022 - if I select a rectangle that is clipping a photograph, the dimesnions in the info panel are incorrect and show the dimesnions of the placed photograph, not the bounding box.

The dimensions in the 'properties' panel are correct.

Screenshot 2022-10-12 at 16.00.21.png

Have tried resetting the preferences and restarting my machine, as per adobe support suggestions - but the issue is still there.

How can I get these two dimensions to be consistent. 

Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Direct selection tool on the clipping mask will give the correct info of the clipped object.

You may want to do a feature request here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton.

The direct selection tool seems to give me the dimension of the clipped image, not the bounding box, as below:

Screenshot 2022-10-12 at 17.09.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click in the image with the Direct Selection tool, it will give you info about the image. If you click on the edge of the Clipping Mask it will give you the same info as the Properties panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Smart Guides (Cmd/Ctrl U) to make it easier to detect the edges of the mask/image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton, smart guides makes it workable.

Is this a regression / change in illustrator - don't ever remember the info panel being incorrect before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot check older versions than 2021, they behave the same. But I hardly ever use the Info panel, mostly use the Transform panel because it gives the info and let me change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking Ton, guess I've got a bit used to Sketch and Figma being a bit more inuitive! Will use the transform panel from now on, seems simpler!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to open the Layers Panel and select the clipping rectangle there. What happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to find it in isolotation mode as there are many layers, but selecting between the cliping path layer or linked file layer in the layers panel doesn't select the layer on the artwork / change the info panel. Is that normal, seems that clicking a layer should select it on the canvas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @iana47686319 

do not try to click on the "layer" in Layers Panel - click on the small rectangle to the right of the clipping path rectangle in the Layers Panel instead.

Or try the following workaround:

1. click on your clipping group (directly on the canvas) with the selection tool.
  2. open the Layers Panel
  3. use the magnifying glass icon at the bottom of the Layers Panel to find the group in the layer hierarchy
  4. click on the small rectangle to the right of the clipping path rectangle name (you could call it a layer - but it is not)

Info and Properties Panel shows the same values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks those worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines