• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inertia scrolling not functioning (maybe OSX bug?)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I've just bitten the bullet and paid the big bucks to migrate from an old machine with CS6 to using the subscription service on a brand new MacBook Pro.    

I am very comfortable with most of the UI differences and happy to adapt where necessary.  However, the thing I cannot adjust to is the lack of continued inertia when scrolling across a document: as soon as your fingers cease touching the trackpad/mousewheel, the onscreen scroll halts abruptly, rather than smoothly slowing to a stop.
  This seems absolutely bizzare to me, as—
1) Inertia scrolling functioned beautifully in CS6
2) Inertia scrolling is the norm for basically every other program in the world (such as the browser you are probably viewing this post on, and the webform I am currently typing into)
3) Other programs in the CC (e.g. Photoshop) still have inertia scrolling
c) Inertia scrolling already exists within this new version of AI, in places like the longer dropdown menus (e.g. fonts) so clearly the value is already demonstrated.

I work with a lot of large files that have 20+ artboards, so not being able to scroll easily across them is a significant annoyance.  Is this a bug?

I noticed that there is an older thread that seems to be addressing this same issue (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/smooth-scrolling-in-illustrator/td-p/8784056).  However, there was no apparent fix reported there, other than downgrading to an earlier version of AI. 

I suppose I am hoping that something might have changed in 5 years since that was posted.
Am I out of luck? 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also come here to say this exact thing. I was sure there _must_ be a setting somewhere for it, but no???

@Simon224939051r9r did you manage to resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have not. 

Really an utterly baffling step backward in terms of usability. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just done so! Really hoping this can be added asap. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I would have done so if I had known it was a bug, or if I had known it was a feature that was not implemented. 

As indicated in my original post, I had every reason to believe it was neither, and was looking for clarification here, but no one seems to have been able to help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe support on Twitter confirmed it is not supported. I have added it here, let's get some votes! https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/446... 

@Monika Gause let us know anything else we can do. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines