• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inserting a image then using the trace feature

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got adobe illustrator but I am having trouble creating what I want. I want to create lets say a 2d outline of a Christmas present with a bow. I insert the picture then I use the trace feature then it creates the outline. Can I turn this outline into different thickness or dots which is what I really need it to be. Also, is there a way to get accurate measurements from the outline? So again a I want to make a traced outline into a dotted outline. Any advice or how to instructions would be greatly appreciated. 

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or should i can i draw a picture with my Microsoft surface pro with the pen and then covert that into dots? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make the line thicker, but turning it into dots is not possible. For that you would need to manually trace the template. ALso when you need accuracy, then manually tracing will be better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manually trace the picture, such as the pen tool, or is there a easier way? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show your original image and can you show a sketch that may illustrate what you are going to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached the 2d outline of the shape and I want to create the dotted imaged shown in the other picture. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kris, Hi.

Thank you for giving us screenshots

I would totally recreate and not do image trace.

Getting started, I am using 1pt strokes.

I random color as I work so you can see the separate paths.

Draw your shapes. It’s just basic shapes and aligned.

For the dots, open up your Stroke panel. These are the settings I used. Yours may be different.

At the end, I recolored.

K

Screen Dash box 01.pngScreen Dash box 02..png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines