• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Instagram doesn't upload good illustrator vectors.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. My name is Hafsa Abdul Salam. I have recently joined 'Graphic Designing' and i am having some issues with my work. I recently made this vector art in illustrator. . I used gradient in the background. The size of my art was 1080 x1080 pixels (Instagram resolution). I saved my art using 'Save for Web' and uploaded on instagram. The artwork when i exported from illustrator looks smooth .But when i saw the upload on my Instagram feed, my picture has lines (Like a banding in gradient). This ruined the quality of my whole art. My questions are:

1. How to upload good quality of vector art that includes gradient on Instagram.
  2. Is there any other way that i can use to make background for my vector art?
  3. What is the ideal resolution to make vector art in illustrator?

Please help me. I have tried every solution present here and on google. Nothing helped. I'm in desperate need of help. I am attaching picture below of my art.problem.PNGMountain-100.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

You don‘t upload vector artwork at all on Instagram, but raster files. On top of that Instgram further compresses your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don‘t upload vector artwork at all on Instagram, but raster files. On top of that Instgram further compresses your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way i can convert my vector file to raster?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're autmatically doing this by saving as PNG, JPEG or other raster formats.

Your issue probably can't be solved at all because of Instgram's additional compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instagram is a photo service. It will make changes designed to make photos smaller. These will damage your files, which are not vector by now. Find a service not made for photos or accept the damage. I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see people uploading vector art on Instagram. Their work seems smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPEG compression (which Instagram uses) is based on human perception. That means it compresses different colors differently, which leads to results that depend not only on the amount of detail present in the image but also the colors used.

Also: JPEG compression is optimized for photos (it's Joint Photographic Experts Group after all) and not for technically created gradients like in your image. Please read about JPEG compression in the Wikipedia.

You will have to deal with what Instagram produces, because you have no influence whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hafsa,

A few things in addition to what Monika and Test Screen Name said:

The social media in general appear to be really tough on (design) quality.

In general I suggest the use of PNG (PNG24) over JPEG for artwork like yours for various reasons, but in this case I would suggest JPEG to reduce the destruction by avoiding the PNG>JPEG conversion.

I believe what may appear to be vector artwork is caused by the absence of photo like features, as in your (Instagram) image.

What seems most strange to me is the strong discoloration which looks like what is seen with an unwanted Color Mode conversion from RGB to CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The color conversion might have happened because the color management is not set up accordingly. When making things for upload on Instagram, you'd better work with the sRGB color profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Except it's for UI work. 

I've seen SO MANY posts from designers all over and the quality is great.

Mine keeps pixelating and I've tried to export so many versions already.

Extremely frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it looks good after you export from Illustrator, but before uploading to Instagram, but still looks bad in Instagram, then it's largely out of your control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No there are NO VECTORS on instagram. Everything is a raster by the time it is uploaded. Be sure you understand the difference, and the effect of saving as PNG or JPEG. Be sure you understand how JPEG compression works.

Also, as an artist you will be very particular about the precise design. Try to see with the eyes of your audience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same happened with my art .. even mine had no gradient,it still had those lines...I found a solution of it even though quality will not be much improved but you can take vector to PS and save it there as jpeg .It worked for me. atleast I got rid of those lines and also the picture detail was much better then the illustrator's jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Misbah26095507fgod,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I would request  you try using the following settings when exporting from Illustrator and share your observations:

Set the Color Model to RGB
Quality to Maximum
Resolution to Screen (72 PPI)
Anti-aliasing to Art Optimized (Supersampling)

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines