• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is a.i. outline the same thing as a vector image?

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I recently started working as a professional illustrator. But I'm also kind of learning as I go… I just had a client request that the Procreate images I've done be converted to "a.i. outline" files. 
I've been doing some research on what that means and it seems like a.i. outline is mostly applied to text. Is an image "a.i. outline" really just a vector image?

thank you in advance for any answers!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

It sounds like the client is asking for the files to be Illustrator line art (vector) files. The files created in Procreate are raster files. Converting those files to vector is not actually a simple matter. Illustrator does have an Image trace feature that will make line art out of raster images but the results of it do not generally show great fidelity with the original. Also the conversions can be difficult to edit especially for someone that is not very familiar with Illustrator. You could a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the client is asking for the files to be Illustrator line art (vector) files. The files created in Procreate are raster files. Converting those files to vector is not actually a simple matter. Illustrator does have an Image trace feature that will make line art out of raster images but the results of it do not generally show great fidelity with the original. Also the conversions can be difficult to edit especially for someone that is not very familiar with Illustrator. You could also use your Procreate image as a template and manually use Illustrator's drawing tools to manually recreate the art. I found a link that explores ways to do what you need (although the author of the article seems to have a higher opinion of Image Trace than I've experienced) you can check it out at: https://makerlex.com/convert-procreate-artwork-to-vector-with-illustrator/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Brendina,

Thanks for reaching out. As suggested by Bill, the raster images from Procreate need to converted to vectors using Illustrator. Depending on the project's complexity, it may not be straightforward, but you may try the suggestions shared in this tutorial and check if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyLSZIbXI0g.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines