• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to assign EPS or AI vector patterns directly as texture swatches?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's not possible, I will have to open the pattern every time, copy it, paste it, and drag it into the swatches.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you clarify your question: Are you talking about vector patterns you're acquiring in AI or EPS formats? Or are you talking about vector patterns created by Illustrator via its Object > Pattern > Make feature. When you create a pattern or edit one using the latter feature, patterns are automatically saved as swatches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm talking about vector patterns that I'm aquiring as AI or EPS, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The copy paste and drag across files is a bit shaky procedure.

I'm saving the swatches in my Print.ai document, so they are always there, what I need, and I'm deleting the default swatches from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

End of your last sentence was cut off. When you acquire an AI vector pattern, are you opening it by double-clicking it? You should be able to double-click on it to open up the pattern-editing workspace and give you the opportunity to  save as a swatch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have edited the comment, now it's not cut off. Yes I just open them in Illustrator. I'm saving the swatches in my Print.ai document profile, because I don't want to make custom profile. Saving it as a swatch is not sufficient, it needs to be saved as a swatch in my Print.ai document profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the easiest way to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm opening them from the open file menu, not by double clicking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The procedure depends on what's in the file. SOme people sell patterns, but there are none in the swatches panel.

The easiest solution would be to collect them all in one AI file that you store on your computer. Then you go into the swatches panel, and load a swatches library. Load that file as a library. When it's loaded, go into its panel menu and check Persistent from the panel menu. The library will then always load whn you launch Illustrator. When you buy new patterns, just put them into the AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only use my Print.ai file. And the question is what is the easiest way to store a bought pattern (ai or svg) in my Print.ai?

Currently I am copy pasting the pattern from the bought asset file into Print.ai and dragging it into my Print/ai swatches. Anyways, the color needs to be changed usually before creating the swatch, also. I have to change their color from black to white because I work on black background.

What you describe that's difficult to comprheend. But anyways, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I need to move the pattern across files, the best is to create the swatch from the destination file.

So I am looking for something more direct than copy pasting, then dragging, like:

Open my destination file, which is Print.ai, then open my Print.ai swatches panel, and wish to have a swatch import option in my Print.ai swatches panel, that could directly import an AI or SVG pattern as a swatch.

Does that option exist?

That's the only thing I am looking for.

If it doesn't exist, do you think it would be useful?

However after importing it as a swatch I cannot change the pattern fill color of it. Or can I?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if I can't change the color after, the feature I want would still make sense because I could change the pattern fill color in the source file before importing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read this but i don't get it:

How to Import New Textures Into Illustrator (chron.com)

I couldn't import it following this tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found a better way:

place the source pattern > object > pattern > make, within Print.ai, and the swatch will be created in Print.ai, so no need to open the source file in separate window and copy paste and then drag into swatches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't understand what you want with the copy/paste. When your patterns are in a library that you have open in a panel, you just need to click on the pattern in the library and it will be put into your swatches panel of the file you are working in.

Maybe you want to read about libraries in the official documentation instead of some tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they are vector patterns you would see them as pattern swatches in the Swatches panel of the .ai or .eps file.

If they are not in the Swatches panel you need to add them one by one, either by dragging them with a no stroke/no fill rectangle behind them or by selecting the "pattern" object and using Object > Pattern > Make

Once you have added them all to the Swatches panel, save as an .ai file.

Open your Print.ai file and select your swatches file from the Swatches panel menu > Other Library.

Select all your swatches in that library panel and choose > Add to Swatches.

White patterns will not be visible, so leave them black.

When you use a black pattern on an object, choose Edit > Edit Colors > Invert Colors to make them white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines