• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

is it possible to cut and delete paths that are not visible?

Participant ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi guys,

i'm trying to find a way (something automated not manual cleaning) of path lines that are hidden behind other objects with fill color. I've attached a simple example of what i'm referring to.

shape A has a single path (no fill) behind a rectangular box with white fill. Pic B shows the actual paths with no fill color.

Now I wish to remove part of the vertical line that is behind the box. So basically pic A should look the same when viewing the outline/paths (with CTRL+Y)

I have tried all pathfinder options and non of them did the job. The only way I know of is to use the shapebuilder tool and manually drag and merge the internal of the box. It works for this example, but I need it for far more complex artwork that need to be cut on laser/sticker cutters so the shape builder wont help me in this case.

I also tried selecting all filled objects, moving them on top and use minus front but unfortunately open paths will get deleted completely. Minus front between 2 closed objects has the behaviour that i'm looking for, but as stated, not working with open paths.

any help much appreciated. I'm open also to 3rd party plugins/software, though i would prefer doing it natively

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very simple example. But how do the complex ones look? And also: is it always just one path that cuts the lines? Or multiple?

If you are looking for an automated solution, then the complex files are the most interesting ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Sorry, my solution did not work. I will keep looking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked when I selected the line and square and Pathfinder > Outline

EricDumas_0-1673355120347.png

What's weird is that all the lines are combined in one object and the stroke needs reapplying. But I was able to double click on the piece to trim and delete just that.

How to cut intersecting lines in Illustrator - Quora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines