• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it Possible to flip/reflect the entire canvas?

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to flip/reflect the entire canvas horizontally.  I know I can group everything and flip the group, but it would save me time and just be an easier workflow. This is possible in photoshop, is it possible in Illustrator?example1.JPG?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just selecting all and flipping it doesn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response Monika. I would like to be able to do that with the canvas. So I assume it's not possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot flip the canvas (which would be the entire work area - not sure if you mean that.

It's also not possible with artboards. Illustrator works object based.

And if that example you posted above is not even half as complex as your actual file, then please tell us what exactly you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon,

In addition to what Monika said, if you wish to mirror the position on the Artboard, you can add a nostroke/nofill rectangle bounding the Artboard, to make it fully correspond to a mirroring in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response Jacob. I can do that, but I  have a quite complicated file, different layers, and images with different sizes that will be printed out and must match exatly. When I do that the images slides around and I have to manually realign them. I just don't understand why there is no artboard flip/reflection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please see a screenshot of that sliding around? Or get a demo file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @jonmanker 
I'm using this script and it works for me

var doc = app.documents[0] ;
var artRect = doc.artboards[doc.artboards.getActiveArtboardIndex()].artboardRect ;
var artboardCenter = [(artRect[0] + artRect[2]) / 2, (artRect[1] + artRect[3]) / 2] ;

try {
var documentOrigin = doc.rulerOrigin ;
doc.rulerOrigin = [doc.width/2,0]
doc.selectObjectsOnActiveArtboard();
var pageItems = doc.selection ;
for(var i = 0, len = pageItems.length ; i < len ; i++) {
pageItems[i].resize(-100, 100, true, true, true, true, false, Transformation.DOCUMENTORIGIN) ;
}
} catch(e) {
alert(e) ;
} finally {
doc.rulerOrigin = documentOrigin ;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines