• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to make multiple, disconnected paths into a "compound" path without connecting them?

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed over the years that I will sometimes come across an AI/EPS file where there are 2 (or more) distinctively separate path segments yet they are a single compound path on the layer panel. I've always wondered how this is possible because sometimes you want to actually combine paths "like a group" but prefer it to be a compound path so that attributes are applied to all elements and ungrouping won't break the appearance or allow for individual paths to be moved out out place accidentally as can still happen with grouped items.

Caveat - no, these were paths created very cleverly (and painfully) calculated using the dash line tool.

More specifically, I want to be able to create line-style icons in 2 colors and have the entire icon be 2 compound paths despite the icon being made up of more than 2 paths. Meaning I can change the stroke weights and colors of only 2 items instead of having to select many, many, MANY individual paths or worse, converting the one to a fill which destroys the ability to universally redefine stroke weight.

I've always thought those lines were glitches but lately, because I want to be able to generate the same "glitch", I have wondered if they were indeed anomalous glitches or some very niche or rarely used features I cannot seem to unearth.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

This image is not a fake mockup. It was created by selecting three paths and pressing Ctrl+8, or going to Object > Compound Path > Make:

DougARoberts_0-1647884677888.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correction to caveat above:
*No there WERE NOT single paths created very cleverly (and painfully) calculated using the dash line tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing stopping you making compound paths from otherwise unrelated paths. Have you tried?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think you understand my question. i want 2 separate paths to remain separate after making them compound. typically when you combine paths to be compound, the merge into a single path meaning extra segments are added to connect them. if you delete that extra segment, the 2 resulting paths become 2 separate paths no longer compound.

An alternative way to think about it is I want to take a collection of segments and group them. except instead of a group, I want that to be "compound." as indicated above, I have see that it is possible but I have no idea how it was accomplished. Usually, I find these anomalies when I open PDFs in AI that others have sent to me or in the occasional stock art file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this image illustrates what I am trying to figure out how to accomplish. This image is a fake mock-up but I have seen examples similar to this in random files in the past and have never understood how this was accomplished as I want to recreate this sort of compound path for some of question eample.pngmy projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This image is not a fake mockup. It was created by selecting three paths and pressing Ctrl+8, or going to Object > Compound Path > Make:

DougARoberts_0-1647884677888.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU! OMG, whenever I tried to figure this out, people would always tell me to merge paths. and most googling led to the "merge shapes" option. this is EXACTLY what I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines