• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a setting to make sure the size of artwork doesn't change upon saving?

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

Hoping somebody can help me out. I've been working on some straps to get printed and was instructed to send them to the printing company as 9.25 inches wide and 1.5 inches high. I've saved them that way and when I open the file on my end, the size is correct. The fella at the printing company however says that when he opens the file up, the size isn't correct on his end. Would anybody know why the size isn't remaining consistent when I send it over to him? Not sure if there's a setting I'm missing? Thanks in advance for any insight!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Don't worry about dpi, Illustrator files do not have a dpi (raster effects do have a ppi setting).

Your problem is that your artboard is larger than the artwork.

Just select your artwork and choose Object > Artboards > Fit to Selected Art.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible to know for sure without any info in what formats you exchange data and what your document settings actually are. This pretty much sounds like you are either not working at the correct DPI or one of you is using a different version of AI where stuff like the extra large canvas is not supported and may result in different interpretation of data. Similarly you could screw this up on export by using a wrong PDF setting for instance. In any case, much more info would be needed to unriddle this.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really appreciate the response Mylenium, I just tried to check which DPI i'm working in but can't see it listed in document info (read in the tutorials that that's where its supposed to be?). I am sending it in AI format so I don't think it could be wrong PDF settings or anything like that. Would it be possible by any chance for you top open up the file on your end to see what the dimensions are (or if any document settings stand out to you that I may have messed up)? This is the link to it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JoOIEVaJuTs8ubUY0TxvdegJjdoB-joa/view?usp=sharing

On my end, the artwork is 9.25" wide by 1.25" high. If it is showing up correct on your end, perhaps I need to ask him if he is using an older version of illustrator. Or I could very well have messed something up 😕 I'm still not super familiar with all the functions/settings 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us what kind of file you are sending, what export settings (if any) you use, and how they are opening the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Doug, thanks heaps for the response. Save settings.pngI'm sending it as an AI file (this is the link to it https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JoOIEVaJuTs8ubUY0TxvdegJjdoB-joa/view?usp=sharing). As far as export settings I haven't changed the default ones that illustrator uses it but just had a look and i see that 'use compression' is checked. Do you think this could be causing the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about dpi, Illustrator files do not have a dpi (raster effects do have a ppi setting).

Your problem is that your artboard is larger than the artwork.

Just select your artwork and choose Object > Artboards > Fit to Selected Art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ton, oh man if this is the fix then THANK YOU THANK YOU! I didn't realize artboard size was important. I just did what you suggested and sent it off to him so we'll see if that fixes the issue- I'll update here when I hear back- thank you so much for the insight again! There's so much I still need to learn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, let us know if that was the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Tom, 

Just heard back and that was the fix- thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if the print vendor opens to the artboard size, the artwork should still be read 9.25w x 1.5h; I know of no RIP that you would preset the size before opening.  The vendor may not have "constrain" size set upon input.  So, if your artboard is 12w x 5h, the artwork should still retain its original 9.25 x 1.5 size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really not too sure (im still fairly new to this if you haven't all gathered) but i resent him the files with the artboard fitted to selective art and he said the dimensions were showing up correct this time, perhaps it is something in his settings? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines