Is there a tool for tiling a set of shapes into a path?

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a long series by arranging different shapes and symbols side by side. I want to wrap this series on a circular path.
illustrator has a write-on-path tool, but is there a tool for tiling a series of shapes on a path?
I would be glad if you help.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022
Drag your series to the brushes palette and make it an art brush, then apply that to your shape. There will be some distortion from stretching the shapes to the inner and outer curve of a circle. If this isn't what you want, describe further and show what you have.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag your series to the brushes palette and make it an art brush, then apply that to your shape.

There will be some distortion from stretching the shapes to the inner and outer curve of a circle. If this isn't what you want, describe further and show what you have.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wonderful.
Thank you very much, this worked for me.
tea from me to everyone. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many different objects? 

Are they (more-or-less) square or do they vary significantly in proportions? 

How often would the set (approximately) be repeated on the Circle? 

Could you please post screenshots? 

In Indesign one could locate images in text and then apply the text to a line … 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a regular series of similar sizes.
Doug A Roberts' suggestion solved my problem.
thank you for your help. thank you so much.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the number of shapes is sufficiently small several applications of Effect > Distort > Transform might be enough. 

Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 12.57.03.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a single non-repeatable series. I tried the tools you mentioned before, but I couldn't get a result. my problem is solved. thank you so much.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I had misinterpreted that the series of shapes would repeat, my mistake. 

In case the distortion in an Art Brush should ever become overly noticable screenshots of an example of inline-type in Indesign: 

Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 13.33.40.pngScreenshot 2022-03-30 at 13.33.50.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes I knew about text wrapping but I couldn't find just snapping shapes to path like letter snippets in illustrator. You were able to show each shape as a letter character and did this with the text wrapping tool. I don't know how you do this.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that example in Indesign; I pasted the shapes into a textbox one by one. 

Then is used the »Type on Path Tool« on a circle-path. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't use it much, but I have indesign. this method is out of my mind. thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can arrange those objects align, space them as you like.

then use the Blend funtion, limiting the steps between, to just 1.

then draw your circle

select the blend AND the circle and select Replace Path, from that oject (Blend) sudmenu

give it a try

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my problem was solved but I tried the blend tool on your recommendation to learn an alternative way. It works in repetitive ways. Even if you change the path or bend it, the shape does not lean on the road. it just keeps the center of the shape on the path. I think it is a tool developed to fit repetitive shapes to that road.
again thanks for your advice.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines