• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IS there a way to Add a handle without having move the other one?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, is there a way to Add a handle without having move the other one?

This is true for corner point where I delete one of the handles, but then decide later on i want the other side of the corner to have a bit of a curve so i need to add in the handle that i deleted, but then when using the anchor point tool it causes the one that i worked on already to move as well...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be clear, once again I am not talking about moving a single handle,

Im talking about when I only have a single handle adjusted perfectly, then decide I need another

But in order to add the other handle I (as of now) need to use the anchor point tool to drag out one

However in doing so causes my perfectly adjusted handle to move as well...

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usualworkaround is to turn on smart guides and then drag with the anchor point tool snapping to the recently existing handle (thus creating a loop). Then using the direct selection tool grabbing one of the handles moving it around and again snapping.

The plugin Vector Scribe with its Pathscribe tool can do it without workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know how to do this too!! I find it irritating that I can't add a missing directional handle without disturbing the existing. 

For example. I want to add a handle to the selected anchor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Select the anchor point with the direct select tool, then move the direct select slightly to the left so it changes to the reshape tool, then pull slighly enough to cause a new handle to appear, then drag back towards the anchor point. Now you have a handle to play with!

In my example, I added green guides to show how the existing handle at left changes slighly during this procedure, but you can minimize it by the pulling back towards the anchor with the reshape tool.

Obviously, zooming in helps.

This is even easier if you have the Preference for "constrain path dragging on reshape tool" checked in your "Preferences > Selection and Anchor Display"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines