• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to create a grid for an already designed logo?

New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this seems like a silly question, but I'm new to graphic design and I've designed a logo for a project without using a grid. Is there any simple way to create a grid for a logo that wasn't designed with one? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of grid?

Circular or rectangular, or hexagonal or, or, or...

Can you please show us the logo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'm so new to this, thanks for the quick response! It would be a rectangular grid. There are different versions of the logo but here is a screenshot of two. The artboards are fitted to the logos but I know in the grid I need to leave some free space around them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for the place to turn on the document grid?
Or do you want to draw a real grid (and maybe convert it to guides)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping to draw a real grid to show dimensions and consistency of the logo. I know how to draw a grid with the rectangular grid tool, but I wasn't sure if there was a way to make a grid that fits an already designed logo (which wasn't created with grid). I've already made the logo but later realized that I was supposed to make it with a grid for the project. I'm not sure if it makes sense to use circles and rectangles in this case? (I've included some photos below) Hope I'm making sense, thanks for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, more so the second link/example. The only thing is that I don't know if I can do that if I already created the logo. It's more to have something in my project to explain and justify the design. Maybe this would be a better bet than just using a rectangular grid? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is something I did quickly just to give an idea. Would this look acceptable in my project to justify the design of the logo or would it be better to stick to a regular grid? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no need to "justify" the construction of your logo.

Concentrate on justifying why you think that this design fits the branding concept of the organisation. That's indeed important. But how you built it shouldn't be anyone's business. People who know how to use Illustrator know it anyway. Everyone else doesn't understand it anyway.

I know that there are prominent examples of doing this. In most cases I would assume that someone slapped a grid on the design afterwards, because the grid makes no sense whatsoever (all these circles on the Twitter bird - that's bizarre).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha,

full ack @Monika Gause 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some ridiculous memes about that:

https://twitter.com/Joshua_Ariza/status/1103007477602242561/photo/1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha I totally get it, the only thing is that it's for a school project and we were supposed to use a grid. So I thought maybe I could get by with using the circles and lines 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously you can't use anything other than circles and lines, because that's how the logo has been built.

I already suspected that some school is involved in this. When designing a logo you can either satisfy your client and build something that makes sense for their situation and concept. Or satisfy your peers and build something that has a sophisticated grid built into it (bonus points if a Golden Something can be found in it as well). Only rarely you can satisfy both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the only use of all these grids is to show the client and all his contractors the allowed sizes and proportions. And yes, it can help them to keep consistence. So in explication I would choose the characteristic element (e. g. circle) and use its size to highlight the sizes/distances/proportions/protection zone. 
And yes, as you used lines and circles, you can show them as a "sceleton" (grid) of the logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines