• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to create linear spirals?

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2008 Oct 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another spiral question that's been nagging me: does Illustrator provide any way to create a linear (Archimedes) spiral? I'm trying to create a spiral where the distance between the windings is constant. It looks like Illustrator only makes logarithmic spirals, where the angle of the windings is constant but the distance between grows bigger with each successive winding.

If not, are there third-party plug-ins or solutions of any kind?

I suppose I could write the curve in Postscript, but that seems like work. :)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2008 Nov 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very creative solutions, thanks!

I actually dug out Freehand but its Spiral tool wouldn't do more than 200 windings. Good for future reference but not so much for this project. What I ended up doing was stealing this Postscript code:

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=387813&postcount=7

And imported it into CS4 after tweaking the code in a text editor. I got about 500 windings before Illustrator reported running out of memory (Activity Monitor said I still had 6GB free). I was hoping for more, but 500 is quite a lot. I think this will do very nicely!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2009 Apr 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am trying to understand these messages but am a bit confused. I am trying to create a spiral that looks like a tornado... bigger on top and smaller on the bottom. Is there a simple tool inside Illustrator that I can create one with? Thank you for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2009 Apr 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b87878/0
To make a tornado-like shape you have to start off with a curved funnel-shaped object with no fill or stroke. Revolve it 360° and then map the graphics onto it. Flat spirals are not a good way to start for this one :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is there still no improvement to the spiral tool in Illustrator? Where is our linear spiral option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Illustrator Scripts by Hiroyuki Sato

Scroll down a little on the page - there is a script to create an archimedes spiral

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks SJRiegel, I know of the script. I also run CS4 so I can run old Scriptographer scripts. I wish Adobe would make their shape creation tools better. People have been using these scripts since 2010 ... how difficult is it to wrap the most useful of them into the existing tools?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can request that here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines