• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to name and save your custom document presets?

Contributor ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creating a new document you are shown a list of recent presets.
If you created a custom document preset recently, it is shown with the title [Custom].

Can you save a created custom document preset with a diferent name, one that is meaningful to you?

Similar to how you can create and save presets in Lightroom, it should be possibe, easy and convenient to do this in Illustrator.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

I'm not talking about template files. It's about document profiles.

Just save your new document profile as an Illustrator file (.ai) in this folder:

User/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator XX/en_XX/New Document Profiles

After restarting Illustrator the custom profile should be available in the File > New (Document) dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can create and save custom document profiles.

You may do a forum search to get further instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I eventually did see that the there is a 'Save as template' option in the file menu. This will try to save it to the template folder in the Illustrator environment, however on a Mac you may hit a access privilege problem. A possible solution, if you are the admin of your machine, is shown here: community.adobe.com. - can't save the illustration you do not have enough access privileges id 5000 

To use the template, it does not appear on the new document suggestions, so have to use the 'Open from template' option on the file menu. This hopefully may be improved in future, as having set up a new template (with a name) that is the one that is most useful to me to start a new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not talking about template files. It's about document profiles.

Just save your new document profile as an Illustrator file (.ai) in this folder:

User/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator XX/en_XX/New Document Profiles

After restarting Illustrator the custom profile should be available in the File > New (Document) dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thank you for the correction.

I tried saving the document in the equivalent place ( I believe ) on the Mac.

Applications>Adobe Illustrator 2021>Support Files> New Document Profiles>en_XX

where I can see the other new document types - Web.ai, Print.ai, etc

On restarting Illustrator it still did not show the document on the new document menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I think I replied to the wrong post!  I can't seem to delete/move it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows 10 this seems to be the correct folder (you must have the "show hidden files/folders" option enabled":

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

brandtryan_0-1620130573374.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the right location.

You may take a closer look at my previous post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I found the path you mentioned, and the saved document was there. So saving it in the path I mentioned also saved it here - so one of the paths could be, or is, an alias.

Anyway, I found the saved document under the Print category, so I suspect that which category it appears under depends on some option in the preset details - possibly the raster effects and / or color mode settings in the Advance Options. I think that a little experimentation I can probably have it appearing in the Art & Illustration category.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving it in the application folder will copy it to the library location.

The file in the library location will be used.

Unfortunately if you update the file in the application folder, the file in the lbrary folder will not be updated.

To avoid confusion, don't use the application folder location.

And I find the Use legacy "File New" interface option in the Preferences General the fastest way to select a preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator has blown away my document presets/profiles when updating programs. I've had to move, recreate, re-organized and of course, resave my presets and profile at updates (who knows where the heck my previous templates went...I'm still recreating those). I've given up and try and avoid Illustrator when possible. I can't see their interface anyway, I've grown too old to see what the small font in menus say.  😕

I recommend saving/copying templates, profiles, and other such items into your documents folder (create an obvious hierarchy that you'll easily remember) for each Adobe program you use, prior to any updates (provided you can find their location).  I generally include a screenshot to show the location of where I found the items (templates, profiles, preferences, etc.). Adobe seems to change location of some of these items every few versions. Keeping track of the program/version in MY documents folder has helped with Photoshop immensely. I've burned myself on Illustrator because I avoid it so much. Dreamweaver and Bridge, it's 50/50. ;-D

(I wish I had been as organized at the early stages of my Cloud Libraries...ugh, what a mess)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines