• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there any way for swatch color changes to be consistent?

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this character I made where a each color in a swatch group correlates to a body feature (green is hair, light green is skin, dark green is the outline, etc..), but I want to be able to switch to a seperate swatch group, and back and forth and have the colors changes be pre-determined and CONSISTENT. So green becomes blue, light green becomes light blue, etc... and vice versa.

swatchexample.png

The top of this example is what I want to happen, but the bottom is what I get, and it's random everytime I switch between them. My swatch groups are labeled and ordered in the same way. If having consistent color swaps is not a thing, it should definitely be a feature added in the future.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.35.08 PM.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Edit > Edit colors > Recolor artwork you can set up rules for the order of the old colors and the new colors, which will then determine the rules for converting between them. But if this doesn't work for you, then you could try if it could be made in an action or if that doesn't work, you need a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm it seems the rules for converting them never stick, I assign the colors and the next time I try and swap swatches it's as if I had never assigned them at all. 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 8.46.01 PM.png

Too bad there's literally no way to save the "custom preset".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sort of found a solution but it shouldn't have to be this convoluted. So I have to order the swatches of the first group in order of hue, Red -> Violet (this is the default way Illustrator orders the colors in recolor artwork window). Then I have to match every other swatch group to that first group, mine are named. The problem is, this doesn't work for switching back. So my first group is Green, and my second group is Blue. Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.01.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I seem to remember a feature request to save recoloring presets in Recolor artwork, but cannot find it on Uservoice. Maybe it doesn't exist.

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines