Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with discolouration when using a clipping mask in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have created a symbol in Illustrator amd used textures to fill the shape as a clipping mask. I want to put a background behind it but when I do, It discolours the entire symbol.

I'll include screenshots for reference.

Any advice on how to resolve this issue so that I can put colours behind my symbol without discolouration would be great! Thank you 🙂

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

If you make the circle the same size as your symbol and group them it should be ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must have some transparency used in your symbol. Did you use an Opacity mask?

What happens if you put a white circle between the symbol and the background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah It looks like I used an opacity mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you make the circle the same size as your symbol and group them it should be ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Problem solved 😁😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

White circle.png

I made a white circle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AUTHOR,

In addition to what Ton said, the masking object reduces the opacity of the underlying part(s) of the Opacity Mask corresponding to the % greyscale value of the masking object between 0% and 100%, so full black gives full transparency (= 0% Opacity), or you can tick Invert Mask and have full transparency with white; you can switch between the two by ticking/unticking Invert Mask.

To bar the background beneath the Opacity Mask from showing through, you need to have a white or black barring object in between, whichever fits the artwork.

It is crucial that the barring object is not part of the Opacity Mask, but it must have the same shape and position as the masking object; in this case it is simple, just a circle with the same size and position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines