• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

It is suddenly impossible to open more than one file at a time in AI. Why, and what can be done?

Participant ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it. If I want to paste an illustrator-drawn device into a Photoshop file, I can't do it the way I would like to. Meaning, in Illustrator: open the Photoshop file, open the Illustrator file with a lot of pre-drawn devices in it, select one and passte it into the photoshop file on hand, which is not the final PS file, but will serve to get the size and position right. Then I copy it and return to PS to do the actual pasteup. That's how I've always done it- for about 20 years. If I try that now, either I can't open the Illustrator file to select a device, or I can't open the PS file in AI in the first place- I have to open the AI source file, get the device, close AI and go to PS and paste it up. Old Mac Pro, running Mojave, 48GB RAM. I don't think it's due to lack of RAM.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

You can install older versions. But only the one before the current one is availbale in Creative Cloud. If you need versions that are not listed in Creative Cloud, please contact Customer Care

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly? Did you update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the years I've noticed, with Adobe products and others, that when an update comes out, somehow a glitch starts happening in the old, current version, to remind the users that it's that time of year again-time to update. It definitely happens with Wacom tablets, for example. In this case, however, I can't use a free downloadable update to fix the glitch, because the update is "incompatible" with my system (according to Adobe), which is Mojave. So I ask: Is that the case? are the Adobe applications, for which I have been paying monthly for quite a few years, no longer usable on my Mac? If I have to stick with version 25.4.1 to use the software, fine. I'll stick with it, but I do need to be able to use it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the years I've noticed, with Adobe products and others, that when an update comes out, somehow a glitch starts happening in the old, current version, to remind the users that it's that time of year again-time to update.

By @birckcmi

That is not the case. The existing software is not changed. Also: it can't be because that would need access to your computer. Mac OS does not allow changes on your system without you agreeing to it. I mean you still remember the hoops you have to jump just to be able to install something or save a file, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I believe you. I got off on a paranoid tangent. The real problem is that Illustrator isn't working properly and, considering that I can't access the upgrade, what can I do about it? I trashed the prefs, which fixed nothing, leaving a re-install of the application the only likely means of repair. Can I install an older version, in fact, version 25.4.1, via CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install older versions. But only the one before the current one is availbale in Creative Cloud. If you need versions that are not listed in Creative Cloud, please contact Customer Care

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Danke sehr, Monika. I followed the link you referenced, and it worked, more easily than I expected. There was a page acknowledging the incompatibility of the update with Mojave or older, and an offer to re-install an "older" version, which has turned out to be the version I have been using for awhile, 25.4.1. I pushed the "yes" button, it installed, and although the creation and modification dates don't make much sense, the application works the way I was hoping it would: I can now open more than one AI or even AI and PS file at a time. Problem solved. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines