• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Joining paths makes the resulting unified path look different

New Here ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making a map in Illustrator. I have drawn coastline and want to fill it in, so I was connecting the paths into one solid shape. However, when I select the paths and join them with CTRL+J, it makes the resulting unified path look messed up or maybe stylized. This also happens if I convert it all to a live paint group, except then it creates very long, straight strokes, that I can delete, but it still messes up the path.

The path itself is using the regular 5 pt round brush with a weight of 0.75. The profile says uniform, yet it still ends up looking as it does. I have no idea what causes it or how to fix it.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

96 NSX,

Maybe far too far out, but it looks like a strange version of the Blob issue solved many years ago by Kurt with Zig Zag Effect (setting the Size to 0 and Ridges per Segment to a sufficiently number (up to 100, you may get away with fewer)).

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/reshaping-objects-effects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, use pen tool in stroke color to complete shape first then apply fill color...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatley it's not that simple. At first it seems like that is a viable solution, but as I fill in gaps with the pen tool, the overall path ends up looking more and more distorted like in my image and if I were to just select all and CTRL+J.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that there is more than one path, and that the paths are close to each other?

I can't tell for sure what's happening unless I can examine the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

96 NSX,

Maybe far too far out, but it looks like a strange version of the Blob issue solved many years ago by Kurt with Zig Zag Effect (setting the Size to 0 and Ridges per Segment to a sufficiently number (up to 100, you may get away with fewer)).

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/reshaping-objects-effects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think Jacob is right. It looks like the old blob issue.

Instead of using the crude workaround he mentioned, I would just use a simple and plain stroke and not the 5 pt round brush stroke which actually is a calligraphic brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines