• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kerning tool stopped working on latest Illustrator

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently the kerning option seems to have stopped - I'm not sure if i've clicked something to change the setting, but i keep getting this message everytime i try use the kerning tool. 

Can I get some guidance here - thank you 

Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 17.59.57.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your preferences to see if that fixes it..?

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/user-guide.html/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.ug.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Thanks for your comment (sorry about the delaying in replying).

Yes, I've tried to do a full Preference reset and it's still showing the same notifcation when i try increase the kerning. I've tried to edit the Tracking to Auto and that wont allow me either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem... Option + Arrow keys used to nudge kerning wherever the cursur was... now it doesnt... I keep hoping an update will fix it ... What is UPPPP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem... Option + Arrow keys used to nudge kerning wherever the cursur was... now it doesnt... I keep hoping an update will fix it ... What is UPPPP

By @Bingus

Works without issues for me.

You could check out which distances are set up in Preferences > Type.

You could also try and reboot the computer

And/or reset preferences

But maybe some other application is stealing the modifier keys. A browser would be my first suspect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bingus,

Thank you for reaching out. I understand you're encountering difficulties using kerning shortcuts in Illustrator, and I'm here to help. I can confirm that the issue is not present on my end either; I checked this on M1 Max Macbook.

As Monika suggested, a good first step would be to try restarting your Mac and then resetting the Illustrator preferences to see if that resolves the issue. If that doesn't help, would you mind running Illustrator in Safe Mode and launching the Ai app only to test whether the option + arrow keys are working or not?
It's not uncommon for users to experience issues with shortcut keys on a Mac, and it's often due to a third-party app or background process automatically starting running at system startup.

I hope these suggestions help, but if not, please don't hesitate to reach out again. We are here to support you and find a resolution.

Best,

Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone!

Resetting the preferences fixed the issue... this has been plaguing me for the last 4 versions of Illustrator LOL ... i guess i kept porting my prefs over on install each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that resetting the preferences fixed the issue for you, @Bingus! This is a common solution for many Illustrator problems. It's also a good idea to check if any third-party applications or background processes are interfering with the keyboard shortcuts. If the issue persists, you can try running Illustrator in Safe Mode to isolate the problem.

If you require any further assistance or have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but you have all the letters selected and are talking about kerning. Kerning is when you try to adjust spacing between 2 letters. Are you trying to adjust the tracking - the entirety of the phrase and that isn't working? From my point of view, with your selections, kerning is working correctly. You can use Opt/Atl arrow left/right to adjust spacing of all the letters. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Sorry for the delayed response and thank you for your message - Yes i've highlighted the full text body and tried to adjust the spacing between the letters with the kerning tool - but the error notification is telling me to go to the Tracking option to amend the problem.... but that doesnt seem to work. I've also tried all the shortcuts like Opt/Atl arrow left/right. I still get the same error notifcation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you try to use Tracking?

For reference, kerning has always worked this way. If you place a cursor between two characters (instead of selecting text), you should be able to hold alt and press the left/right arrows to adjust kerning. What happens when you try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ignore me, I didn't check the posting date!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, has anybody actually found a solutiuon to this issue yet?  I'm experiences it right now, and resetting the preferences did nothing to solve the problem. Anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kerning sets the distance between two letters. When the cursor is positioned between 2 letters, you can set a value. WHen text is selected, you can only set it to Auto.

You probably want to adjust tracking (to the right of kerning)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines