• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard stops working in UI panels

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every now and then (1x a week, maybe less) my keyboard(s) stop working w/in the Illustrator tool itself. Any UI input where you should be able to type a value (stroke, opacity, width, height, font size, etc.) suddenly won't accept the keyboard (both my external bluetooth apple keyboard AND the keyboard on my MBP). I have to quit Ai and restart. 

Anyone else seeing this issue? 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Hi @ds76421298,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. I agree with @Monika Gause. This generally happens when the third-party application is interfering with Illustrator or system I/O. In that case, you may try running the app in Safe Mode (Mac) and launch Illustrator only. Then, open/ create a new document and follow your usual workflow. In Safe Mode, your system starts to perform certain checks and prevent third-party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Illustrator and what operating system are you using? When this happens are there any other programs running that would not be running during the time that this behavior is not happening? Are you on a network that may be running background operations while you are working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest version of Ai, Big Sur OS, and I can have any of the following running at any given time while using Ai:

Chrome
Slack

Figma

P-shop

Safari

Spotify

This bug happens to me at home and in multiple locations (for instance, I'm working remotely in PA right now and it just happened yesterday. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the apps you have listed respectively their plugins are known to cause this. And there are more apps on the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that's it? Is Adobe trying at all to figure out why this happens? Not trying to be snarky, but I pay a lot for my CC subscription, and that feels like a really weak answer. Thanks for the info, though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Adobe trying at all to figure out why this happens?

By @ds76421298

I'm not speaking on behalf of Adobe. I'm not even staff just like 95% of people on this forum.

This is just what we have found out with the combined help of people thinking about the issue and testing out stuff on the forums. And of course people investigating what helps - by shutting down their apps one by one.

If you want Adobe to investigate what's happening on your computer, just contact them via https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah my mistake, sorry. For some reason I thought Adobe mods were on this forum. 

Thanks for the info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @ds76421298,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. I agree with @Monika Gause. This generally happens when the third-party application is interfering with Illustrator or system I/O. In that case, you may try running the app in Safe Mode (Mac) and launch Illustrator only. Then, open/ create a new document and follow your usual workflow. In Safe Mode, your system starts to perform certain checks and prevent third-party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe Mode, then open other apps one by one, which you usually open, and see which app is conflicting with Illustrator. You can check and find the culprit app/ process/ plugin/ extension with the help of Activity Monitor, and then you'll have to close them whenever you face such issues. This is something that cannot be easily fixed as I/O is controlled by macOS and blocked by other apps, which is out of our control.

In some instances (just an observation), I have seen launching Illustrator before any other apps help in scenarios like this. Feels like macOS is giving I/O control on a first come and first basis.

Also, it can happen due to corrupt preferences. In that case, you may try resetting them.

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines