• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

large numbers in Illustrator bar graph

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to have Axis Values ranging from 1,000,000 to 8,000,000 and Illustrator won't let me go above 2,147,483. With or without commas. This wouldn't be a problem - I could simply use the suffix Million - however my data needs to be miscellaneous millions, i.e. 3,567,876. I found this issue dating back to 2013 and the answer was Illustrator hasn't worked out this glitch. Surely by now it has. A powerful program like Illustrator can certainly do 7-dgiti numbers, right? Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had a hunch in another topic that bugs like that could be to do with rounding problems due to illustrator's accuracy limits (i.e. 1000ths of a point). if you make your graph arbitrarily larger, does the limit change?

but i'm not sure about any of that really. the graph tools have, as far as i know, been largely abandoned since their introduction 25 years ago and are full of bugs and oddities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievable. Where does one create high resolution graph imagery? Suggestions welcomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, I just multiplied the amounts by 5% in order to accommodate the limitations. You can add a text label along the edge of the axis to indicate "Millions" or whatever makes sense. In my case, I deleted the axis number for my chart entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess you will be using round values in the axis, no?

And if you divide the value numbers by  one thousand, you can work with no problems.
I doubt you need the bars have such an accuracy that makes visible any difference between 3,567 and 3,568 or any intermediate value. graphs are used for visual representation or comparison not for making a precision mechanism for NASA. (Excuse the comparison). Later you can edit the values (manually) entering your seven figures on the graph.

I am not defending in any way Adobe or the limitations of this archaic graph tool, that has not been improved at all for many, many years, over 25, I think. This tool and area needs a complete overhaul, just to be on par with other features of current illustrator reelases. Really sad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try unticking Override Calculated Values, graph your millions data, and manually typeset your Y-axis and horizontal ticks.

I can graph figures in the millions, I just can't set corresponding values in Override Calculated Values fields (Object > Graph (or Right-click the graph) > Type > Value Axis > Tick Values > Override Calculated Values), which top out at 2147483 for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I unchecked Override Calculated Values and it seemed to be working but then some numbers still were converted to 000, this is frustrating! I also set the decimal to 3 and manually replaced the last comma with a decimal to make it a 6 digit number not 9 digits. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

It's an old thread, but stumbled upon it having the same issue (still never resolved)..

Here i figured to:

- use excel to divide outcomes by a 1000

- use these as input in illustrator

- use the suffix to add .000 to the value-axis ('dot' or 'komma', depending if you go EU or US on big numbers)

i guess your value-axis still misses a '.' before the 6th digit and higher, but still..

Just my 2 cents. Cheers, Ed'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines