• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer structure not preserved when bringing Illustrator files from a different app with new update

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years, I've been enjoying the fact that I can create a file in CorelDraw (which is a faster design program, in my opinion) and can export it as an Illustrator file for people and products that can only accept  Illustrator files. However, since yesterday, with a new Illustrator update, the layer integrity does not hold in illustrator anymore. All the graphics will show in one layer only now and I have to make new layers and move the specific objects to their own designated layer. Does anyone know a workaround by any chance or as to why this has changed? And please don't leave a smart comment like "you should be using Illustrator, to begin with"? 🙂 

Cheers

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Thank you for your response, Monika. I checked, and the option I was using is the latest in Corel and it was showing as "Adobe Illustrator 3JP". I don't know what 3JP version is. However, I changed it to Illustrator 8.0 (the legacy version) and it brought in all the layers like before! I wonder what had changed. 

Thank you for reminding me to change the version. And yes, usually you export to Illustrator from Corel and open the file (file.ai) in Illustrator. The layers and objects from Corel stay

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saving as an AI file from CorelDRAW?

Which AI file version does CDR support currently? Last time I sued it it was CC2019 - is that still the case? These files should open without issue in Illustrator. We are talking about main layers, right? Not sublayers (if that is even possible in Draw).

How do you exchange the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, Monika. I checked, and the option I was using is the latest in Corel and it was showing as "Adobe Illustrator 3JP". I don't know what 3JP version is. However, I changed it to Illustrator 8.0 (the legacy version) and it brought in all the layers like before! I wonder what had changed. 

Thank you for reminding me to change the version. And yes, usually you export to Illustrator from Corel and open the file (file.ai) in Illustrator. The layers and objects from Corel stay intact in Illustrator. Corel also does a great job opening (not importing) the Illustrator and PDF files. 

Thanks again and hopefully they'll fix this on later updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've never heard of 3JP, maybe Illustrator 3 Japanese? Which is also an option in the Illustrator Save dialog box.

Glad you could solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines