• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

line to curve

Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an easy way to convert a line segment to a curve that imitates what I did in this example? I'd like to select the line segment at the end of the spoke, then convert it to a semi-circle. If I drag the corner widgets in, I can imitate the round ends, but there are always to point stacked on top of each other as seen in the second screen grab. Some of the CNC software choke when two points are directly on top of each other. 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

Some of the complications presented are that in some cases you start out with rectangular ends (constant width spokes) simply requiring half a circle, in other cases the angles are sharp (widening spokes), in still other cases the ends are skewed (as in your attached link here https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/line-to-curve/m-p/12881267?attachment-id=1057... ).

While we wait for a serious solution or for the end of time, whichever occurs first:

How about this cheat for the rectangular end case presuming at least one of the spoke sets is horizontal or vertical (as in all yous samples shown)?

1) Select your (rectangular end) spokes, then Object>Path>Offset path inwards (negative offset) by half the spoke width less a (moderately) wee bit and with Miter Joins, see below for elaboration on the meaning of wee;

2) In the Transform panel add the spoke width to the W value (for a horizontal spoke set) or to the H value (for a vertical spoke set) and hold Ctrl/Cmd and press Enter;

3) Object>Path>Offset path outwards (positive offset) by the same number as in 1) but with Round Joins.

Elaboration on the meaning of wee:

Wee could be moderately wee (such as 0.5pt), which leads to dual Anchor Points at the tips, close but not coincident with a distance of about two wees as a straight segment, which again leads to narrowing of each rounding by about a wee.

Or wee could be seriously wee leading to very close to coincident points, or even to some single Anchor Points, and to possible real weirdnesses (or would that be weeirdnesses?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to beta test and work with the programmers at Gerber Scientific that made the Omega software that drove all of their plotters, printers, and CNC routers. And, I used their programs for decades, learning it in and out. I would always tell them things I needed the software to do, and if it seemed worthwhile, was always impressed that they not only added the feature but took it a lot farther. The Make Curve feature was in the program almost from the beginning and I used it almost every day, and I am sure that if people here saw it in action, they'd want it. This is much the same as the question I asked the other day about a simple repeat feature that program has, but seems much more klunky in Illustrator. Another example is the way they did outlines (offest path). The original set of shapes were grouped when the outlines were produced, and all of the resulting outlines were created in a seperate group. Double clicking on the outline brought up the original outline commands, allowing me to make a change and redo it. At least at my developmental stage of learning Illustrator 2022, it appears you have to play tricks with Illustrator to get there. 

As long as Illustrator has been around, and with all of its power, some basic features I took for granted are missing. Conversely, Illustrator has a ton of features that I never dreamed of back then, and would have loved to have them in the Omega software. 

I've found it interesting that the Illustrator Design team doesn't comminicate more with the Photoshop Design team more than they do. Photoshop has "scrubby sliders" all over the place, where Illustrator lacks them, yet Illustrator will let you use the up and down arrows in place of the scrubby sliders. On balance, I think I prefer the Illustrator version. 

Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions. I tried the simplify command some last night and it might do the job of stripping out the overlapping points. 

Mike Jackson, Jackson Hole, WY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another example is the way they did outlines (offest path). The original set of shapes were grouped when the outlines were produced, and all of the resulting outlines were created in a seperate group. Double clicking on the outline brought up the original outline commands, allowing me to make a change and redo it. At least at my developmental stage of learning Illustrator 2022, it appears you have to play tricks with Illustrator to get there. 

By @mrjackson

Offset path can be applied as an effect.

So what you can do: either group the original elements or use the layer they are on

In the appearance panel apply a new stroke to the group or layer

Apply Offset path to it.

I wouldn't call this a trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika, Thanks again. I already admitted that I am still learning a program that works differently than what I have used for years. The workflow may be different to get to the same results. Your explanations will help guide me. Cheers, Mike Jackson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go straight away to the Appearance panel - that's where the fun starts 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines