• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lines are the same weight but look radically different

Contributor ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two lines in a small illustration both purporting to be 4pt thickness, however one appears much much thinner. I have to thicken it up to 47pt to match the 4pt lines. Please see my pics

Any ideas? I'd like to be able to make them both exactly the same weight without having to eyeball it.

Illustrator 25.4.6

Mac OS 10.14.6

Screenshot 2022-06-21 at 13.25.38.pngScreenshot 2022-06-21 at 13.25.09.pngScreenshot 2022-06-21 at 13.24.53.png

Adobe user since 1987 : Illustrator version 1.0.
TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Sorry! I've fixed it - still don't know what was happening, but I saved the file as an EPS and reloaded. Many of the thick lines reappeared very thin. The issue was with the hair in my image - they were actually much much thicker than they should have been for 4pt, and the face elipsoid was the correct weight at 47pt (lost track of how big/small my graphic was).

If I can get the original file back I'll post what you asked for

Thanks for looking, in any case!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One probably uses a brush and the other doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no brushes used. In fact that was my first thought so I deleted all brushed from the document - there's only Basic left

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it looks like a brush and behaves like a brush it is probably a brush.

I hope you can find the problem file to share with us.

Screenshot 2022-06-21 at 16.30.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the hair perhaps (calligraphic) brush strokes while the head is just a plain stroked path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no brush applied to any lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show them in the Appearance panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry! I've fixed it - still don't know what was happening, but I saved the file as an EPS and reloaded. Many of the thick lines reappeared very thin. The issue was with the hair in my image - they were actually much much thicker than they should have been for 4pt, and the face elipsoid was the correct weight at 47pt (lost track of how big/small my graphic was).

If I can get the original file back I'll post what you asked for

Thanks for looking, in any case!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving as an EPS should not be a part of problem solving.

If you save with default options, then it doesn't do anything different than just saving the file. If on the other hand you *do* change the options in a way that they *do* something different, then saving as an EPS has the potential to seriously ruin your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry I knew what I was doing. It was a very simple illustration, well-enough supported by EPS. Saving as a very basic EPS wouldn't have lost me anything serious. Sometimes I just need to get on with the job, and I've found that this is a good way to "distill" a file down to its very basics and often works for issues like this. I realise the potential to ruin some kinds of artwork, tho, and your mileage may vary.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines