Linked Illustrator files to mockups

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, wondering if anyone can help me and if this is even possible. I am wanting to create a illustrator artboard which links to another. when I alter a design in one then it will automatically change in the other. almost like photoshop embedded smart objects. If so is it possible to link the initial artboard (which I will be editing) to two artboards meaning when I change one the other two will also change. 

I am wanting to basically show a logo created in two different mock up cenareos whilst also keeping a the logo editable and in one file. 

If anybody could help, that would be amazing. Thanks everyone 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could place one AI document in another one.

Or you could use symbols (in the same file).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would additionally suggest adding a rectangle with no stroke or fill to the size of the artboard (eg: 8.5" x 11") when making the symbol.  This way when you have for example make type changes, the position will not change on the linked symbols. The no stroke or fill is invisible, but defines and locks in what we call the bounding box of the symbol image.

Most objects will work in symbols, except linked images and graphs I believe. If you have elements in there that gives you an error saying cannot be a symbol, then save your page as another name, and place that as an image, multiple times in your document. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines