• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

linked image with clipping path wrong scale

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD images with a clipping path show an incorrect percentage, as if the image is always interpreted at 72 dpi, even when in photoshop it is saved at 300.

To reproduce the behavior simply import the same image twice, once without clipping path (the links panel shows 100%) and once with a clipping path (the links panel shows 24%)Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 09.24.26.pngScreenshot 2022-04-01 at 09.25.21.png

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn, been there a long time to have only one vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Made it 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just discovered this issue. in April 2024. Time to fix that bug Adobe! Doh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a need to use clipping paths? Instead add a layer mask on layers in photoshop, and this should go away.

Ever since Photoshop added transparency, I have had no more need for clipping paths. Usually resolution is desired, but knocking out background  is more natural to have a slightly very very soft edge, especially in areas farther away from lens. But thankyou for this 80s flashback and the fond memories of those golden years in graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of my historical files have clipping paths so it has been a pain to manually remove them. And if you are sending a third party a JPG of a cut out image of say a product, then you still need a clipping path 🙂

I am torally with you, I now mainly work with transparent layers, but it is also daft IMHO that Adobe have not fixed a simple long standing bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

…it is also daft IMHO that Adobe have not fixed a simple long standing bug.

By @SwearingDad

You must be new here. Adobe have an entire building devoted to not fixing long-standing bugs in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are various use cases where clipping paths have to be applied to images rather than a pixel-based mask. If I want a precise edge applied to an isolated photo "object" a clipping path would give a cleaner result. Plus I could apply other effects to the outline path (outline effects, etc). In large format printing work the same kinds of paths can be used for contour cutting around photo objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Bobby, I enjoy the cleanness of using a clipping path to form the edge round a photo part.

Without its being my original purpose I have found that it also pushes the size limit of a photo part because the interior is much more forgiving than the edge in terms of resolution.

It can also form the basis of a fine soft edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines