• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Locate paths that do not have a specific appearance (roughen)

Explorer ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have 100's of artboards in multiple documents, each artboard has complex illustrations made up of many elements all with varying colours of fill and stroke and each element requires a different 'roughen' effect being applied. I'm trying to locate (and/or select) all elements that do not have this roughen affect applied, but how? I have tried select same appearance, but due to the varying fills/strokes this isn't possible.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

There's the free Seelct Menu (https://rj-graffix.com/downloads/plugins/) which might help you...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can show something?

You might need to first find all that have the desired appearance and then hide them or lock them. Then find all to which the desired appearance cannot be applied, because you only need them filled. Then there will be objects left and then you can apply what you need to apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @Monika Gause, I was hoping for a speedier way to carry out that, as each element only selects a very small amount of similar 'appearance' objects, due possibly to the appearance roughen settings, perhaps? When I have the final items selected, they need a different rough effect being applied, however, these settings will vary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's the free Seelct Menu (https://rj-graffix.com/downloads/plugins/) which might help you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in which way could it help here? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to have extended selection options, however, I'm speaking with the supplier as to why I can't seem to get it to work as expected. I'll update here once I make progress 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it can select more than native Illustrator. But it cannot select based on "Does not have"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has the option for selecting 'Unstyled art', hoping this will be what I'm after

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unstyled art will select everything that opnly has the basic appearance: one stroke, one fill, no effects, no transparency, no brushes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil,

Reading this thread as it has been growing, I wonder whether one of these is what you wish:

A) Select all objects without a roughen effect (all roughened objects having the same specific effect which is to be left unchanged)?

B) Select all objects without a specific roughen effect (different specific roughen effects applied to the artwork, any or all with roughen effect(s) different to the one in question which is to be left unchanged)?

In either case, I presume you wish to apply the same specific roughen effect to all selected objects different to the one in question (and replacing the current roughen effect in case B)?

I believe it may be possible to do it by cunning scripting.

Any scripting friends?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

It seems there was an issue with the select menu plugin first mentioned, this has been fixed in an unreleased beta version. It means a user is able to select: Basic Art Attributes > Unstyled Art – Which now correctly selects all objects without an effect. This will now allow me to apply the effect to the objects that don't have this applied (not great for objects that already had the effect and are now expanded though!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil,

I can see that guess 1) was right.

"(not great for objects that already had the effect and are now expanded though!)"

This is a(nother) reason for always keeping a backup of artwork that is about to be changed irreversibly, so you can fall back on it.

It may help if you have made backups for the other reasons so you are able to (re)insert those objects in the newest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree, Jacob. However, the process was not put in place through a different department. Thanks for you help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, Phil,

And thank you for sharing the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines