• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac AI DataRecovery Files Unopenable

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I closed an AI file wo saving, that's on me. I did however have file recovery/autosave enabled.

On Mac, when I navigate to .../Library/Preferences/AdobeIllustrator (version) Settings/en_US/DataRecovery there are all my autosaved files, BUT they do not have extensions and cannot be opened by Illustrator.

What good is autosave if it's unusable?!?

Illustrator can't open a .aid extension nor can I change the files extensions to .ai and open them. It's completely useless. Illustrator gives me a pop-up saying that those files are an unknown file type and can't be opened. I thought the built-in feature would work and it simply doesn't. I spent an hour trolling Google for an answer and came up empty-handed. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

It is not called autosave, but data recovery, it only works to recover files when your machine/Illustrator crashes.

You cannot use that for backups.

I use the CC files folder on my machine to save files in that I am currently working on. It is a local folder that gets synched to the Creative Cloud. It saves versions everytime you save and keeps them at least 10 days.

But I also backup my machine from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not called autosave, but data recovery, it only works to recover files when your machine/Illustrator crashes.

You cannot use that for backups.

I use the CC files folder on my machine to save files in that I am currently working on. It is a local folder that gets synched to the Creative Cloud. It saves versions everytime you save and keeps them at least 10 days.

But I also backup my machine from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, machine crashed

files there, but you hit the wrong button when the restart recovery dialog pops, how can this dialog be triggered to reactivate the recovery process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @mykeymaker,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would it be possible for you to share the download link to the AID file here or via DM? This way, we can check the file on our end.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, 

pm'd a link to the .aid and associated files

seems like there shown be a log or pref file line ,that reads at launch, I should be able to modify to trigger the correct .aid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"seems like there *should*" not shown

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @mykeymaker,

Sorry about the delay. I was unable to recover any data from the shared AID file. I would request you to try creating manual backups of your work from time to time in order to avoid such instances in the future.

I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines