Maintaining PDF layers

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Something that's baffled me for years; is why Illustrator cannot maintain layer structures when opening PDFs that are compatible with it. I work extensively in Esko ArtPro+, who's native file format is PDF.

We are constantly requested to supply file back to Designers in a format that is Illustrator compatible, and this would be seemless if the PDFs maintained the layer structure.

The files maintain their layer structure when opened in Acrobat Pro, but as soon as they are opened in Illustrator the file only contains 1 layer with everthing on it.

Does anybody have any thoughts or workarounds?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat "layers" are different from layers in Illustrator. In Acrobat you can have a single object appear in multiple layers because they are more like multiple views that show or hide objects.

Currently Illustrator does not convert these Optional Content Groups into layers.

You can make a feature request here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/358...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the link won't let me sign via Facebook or the email sign in, so i've just voted for it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines