• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make Drawing Follow Curved Path

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone... I'm in the process of drawing a logo. 

The drawing I have is to follow along a curved path. For example, if I draw a box with a curved life beside it, I want the edge of the box to become curved as a reflection of part of the curved line. So say along this curved line are multiple boxes, each box will have one edge as now a curved part of the line. Like they've joined together. 

I tried different methods and nothing is working. Any suggestions? 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Monika gave you the link how to use the Shape Builder tool.

In short:

Select your curvy lines and your rectangular shapes.

Next switch to the Shape Builder Tool.

Hold down,  Alt (Windows) or Option (macOS) to erase

Drag your cursor over the area you want to delete.

K

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I didn't understand your question. Can you show something, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. here's a visual of what I'm trying to do. Hopefully this will bring some clairifcation. 

EnAVE_LOGO_EX.png **in case the caption doesn't show -- I'd like the bottom of the buildings to be alongside or become one with the line of the curved path. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MYK14,

As I (mis)understand it, you can:

1) Extend each box to overlap the line, maybe just by (deselecting and) ShiftClickingDragging (holding Shift while ClickDragging) the relevant path segment with the Direct Selection Tool to be fully the other side of the curved path so that both the adjacent sides are stretched enough to cross it;

2) Click the curved path with the (normal) Selection Tool, then press X then F (then X then F if needed) to bring it on top of the boxes, then apply Object>Path>Divide Objects Below;

3) Select and delete the unwanted boxes on the wrong side of the curved path.

The ShiftClickDragging will move the segments vertically, horizontally, or midway in between (every 45 degrees). If the adjecent sides to cut are at a different angle, you will need to ClickDrag perpendicularly to that angle to avoid distortion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you can drag your object into the brushes panel, make an art brush, and then draw a path. But might also be something completely differebnt. PLease show something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>a box with a curved life

That threw me...

Like this:

PatternBrush.jpg

Pattern Brush...

Might need some finagling to get exactly what you want...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the miscommunication -- here's a visual so help below. Also, "box with a curved life" is a typo lol it should be "box with a curved side" 

EnAVE_LOGO_EX.png

Thanks again for the help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MYK14,

That was how I understood it.

I believe you can use the first suggestion with a few extensions in 1):

1) Extend/move each box or all boxes together to overlap the line, maybe just:

1a) By (deselecting and) (Shift)ClickingDragging (holding Shift while ClickDragging) the relevant path segment(s) with the Direct Selection Tool so that the/each relevant side is fully on the other side of the curved path thereby stretching the adjacent sides enough to cross it, or

1b) By (Shift)ClickDragging (each of) the boxes so that the relevant side is fully the other side of the curved path;

2) Click the curved path with the (normal) Selection Tool, then press X then F (then X then F if needed) to bring it on top of the boxes, then apply Object>Path>Divide Objects Below;

3) Select and delete the unwanted boxes on the wrong side of the curved path.

ShiftClickDragging will move the segments vertically, horizontally, or midway in between (every 45 degrees). If the adjecent sides to cut are at a different angle, you will need to ClickDrag perpendicularly to that angle to avoid distortion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm having a difficult time following correctly. I'll try to find some more videos to understand better. I get confused with the X & F controls because all it does it make my screen either full screen or full screen with no menus that would normally be at the top of my screen. I'll keep playing around with it, & hopefully come to what I'm looking for. 

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MYK14, Hi.

Here I lasso the bottom anchors of the cyan Grouped rectangles.

Move down.

Use the Shape Builder Tool to cut and delete paths.

K

Screen cut buildings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi K, 

Thank you for the suggestion. The instructions are a bit vague, but I tried and just got long boxes. I dont know how to use the shape builder tool very well either. So is there an option to send a video of how you achieve the picture below? It's exactly what I'm looking for! 

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Monika gave you the link how to use the Shape Builder tool.

In short:

Select your curvy lines and your rectangular shapes.

Next switch to the Shape Builder Tool.

Hold down,  Alt (Windows) or Option (macOS) to erase

Drag your cursor over the area you want to delete.

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines