• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maximum number of Shape Builder "events"?

Participant ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the Make Compound feature does not work on a design, I use the Shape Builder to remove centers of open elements. Shape Builder works great unless I click on too many elements, at which poinst it gets very slow.  Popups state "building shapes". 

I would imagine there is a lot of math going on in the background, but I am trying to understand how to keep from bumping into the issue, or wondering why the Make Compound didn't work in the first place.

Thanks in advance,

MJackson

TOPICS
Draw and design , Experiment , How-to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

I see the problem pop up and then wonder if I am doing something wrong, or whether there is a pattern to when and why some files bog down quicker than others.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might add that some of the original shapes might have had fills with no outlines, while others might have had fills and (unintentional) outlines. I believe that might be tripping up the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if there is a fixed number of paths or points or maybe it's the number of overlapping paths. Sometimes this happens with rather few elements. You could try Live Paint instead. It works basically the same, but can handle complex artworks better.

Making compound paths first would make the issue worse I would think. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the problem pop up and then wonder if I am doing something wrong, or whether there is a pattern to when and why some files bog down quicker than others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try Live Paint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines