• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merge Outlines to 1 Solid Stroke?

Explorer ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. This has been bugging me since I started my career.

Is it at all possible to merge two outline strokes together? (See attached image).

Since you can outline a singular stroke, I don't understand why there's no option (that I know of) to do the opposite.

I've googled this problem a million different ways and most solutions involve blending the two together, offsetting the path, or rasterizing/image tracing. None of which provide results that look good or are quicker than tracing the inside with a pen tool.

I've also tried finding plugins through Adobe CC and google, but have come up with nothing.

Any info about possible solutions/plugins would be incredibly valuable.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Scripting , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, Scott.

And of course it‘s remarkable that you are disposed to tackle an experimental approach that initially was supposed to work only in certain situations. It‘s not a general approach.

I have carefully inspected your sample file and saw that even prototype 3 would produce pretty poor and useless results. You may trust me if I say that you will not get the action to work in a satisfying way in conjunction with the icons you provided.

It‘s an extremely tough task with a huge number of potential tripping hazards.

Usually, if there are demanding requests like this one, sooner or later some experienced scripters come around the corner and provide some considerable approaches. Perhaps that will happen again, but I somehow doubt it because I assume that it is beyond the current scripting capabilities as well. Of course, I would be glad if some of the scripting experts may prove me wrong and share something that does not only work in specific contexts, as the action unfortunately does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bummer, it would have been an extremely useful tool (not that it isn't already).

Let's hope someone comes up with a quality script in the future!

Thank you for taking time to hash this out with me, you've been very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would make a square behind the outlines. Make sure the outlines are a compound path (command or cntrl 8) and then use minus front in the pathfinder. Use the direct selection mouse (the second one) and just delete the extra! That's the easiest way I can think of

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my previous comment would just create a shape in between the two, I misunderstood what you were asking. But if you just wanted to fill the shape there you go lol. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol No problem! Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I have some weird daydreams that sometimes lead to better actions.

I will share them if it happens again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar needs when I did pop signage for plotter cutters. I used a combination of 3 strokes, inset and outset, and given spacings set in Pts so I would have a live inside, outside, and core(parent) shape,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott,

do you need this kind of conversion only for icons that are similar to the icons you shared in your sample file? Or would you sometimes also need it to convert constructions like outlined route maps (subway, train, bus, federal highway etc.), courses of rivers, creeks and runnels or simple schematic drawings? That is, constructions that probably were originally built with open stroked paths?

If that applies I may share the latest action approach. But I would first have to know if you *really* need that in contexts as described above. If so, I would then prepare a handful of sample files that will show that it *may* work pretty well in files that are practical for this approach. Otherwise it would just be a waste of time.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not going to withhold anything, but as this action approach requires very specific constructions I'd prefer to know if your needs will actually meet them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt,

I would probably only use this action for icons/illustrations. I don't think I would personally use it for constructions.

And it's no problem at all. I certainly don't want to waste anyone's time here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid that you actually got me a bit wrong, Scott. I'm sorry in case I may have confused the matter.

Of course, I don't say that you are wasting my time. I was just trying to point out that the action approach may waste *your* time if the source files are not appropriate for the way the action works.

For example, in your sample file the action would rather completely fail, whereas in a file that contains the raw outlined railway lines of the Moscow Metro system it may work pretty well.

That's why I was asking if you may want to use it in other contexts that would actually work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't confuse anything at all, Kurt. You've been very helpful.

I understand now that what you've created holds a very specific purpose.

I hope someone creates something similar for what my purposes are, but you've shown me some pretty good alternatives anyway, so thanks for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would certainly be an extraordinary milestone if there were a solution that may work generally, but I doubt that it will be there soon.

Similar requests were posted many times since the Adobe Illustrator forums had been introduced about 25 years ago. Considering all possible scenarios it is just an incredibly and perhaps almost insanely tough task from a technical point of view.

It's rather not surprising that up today there are no real solutions to do the desired conversions with many selected objects in one shot. At least I don't know one that would work in all cases or at least in most cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! You'd think solving this problem could make someone very wealthy! I'd pay a lot for a tool that did this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour à tous,

La dernière version d'Illustrator dont je dispose étant la version CS6, je n'ai pas pu ouvrir le fichier de Kurt Gold...

Je ne suis pas certain d'être bien dans le sujet, mais, ces derniers jours, j'ai essayé de faire un script qui traite des tracés autres que les tracés transparents.

( tracés sans croisement) voir l'exemple qui suit.

Format A4 vertical CTRL+A puis exécution du script, résultat à droite 0.72secondes. (version CS6)

Les tracés d'origine d'épaisseurs différentes sont obtenus avec "Décomposer" fond et contour, le script fait l'opération inverse mais en appliquant un style, le même pour toute la sélection (ici pointillé en bleu) , avec possibilité de conserver l'original.

Si intéressé, envoyez moi un exemple à traiter (enregistré pour la version CS6 impérativement)

René

strokes shap 04.PNG

Un autre exemple

spirale.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But is the result a true stroke or just a bunch of shapes with the same fill?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour Met1,

Il s'agit d'un tracé (name right) avec le même style que dans le premier exemple.

right.PNG

poignées.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure Google Translator is doing your reply justice, but that looks like a path!

I'm guessing you're going a commercial route with this script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oui met1, je demanderai une certaine contribition.

J'ai commencé à utiliser Illustrator avec la version 4 sur Windows 3.1

C'est bien un tracé (de type "PathItem").

René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pour le sript:

Limites
Ne conviendrait pas pour les tracés transparents.
Uniquement pour des tracés sans croisement et avec la reccherche de la largeur possible.
Mode opératoire pour chaque tracé sélectionné
1 Mesurer la largeur du profil.
2 Dupliquer le tracé, couper ce nouveau tracé et conserver une seule bordure.
3 Créer un nouveau tracé ouvert décalé d’une demie largeur du bon coté.
4 Supprimer la bordure conservée en 3.
5 Suivant une option à définir, supprimer le tracé initial ou non (non représenté).

renl80416020_0-1675792493314.png

René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines