• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging Gradient Line Paths - Can it Be Done ??

Participant ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If  you have a simple path who's size has been determined by increasing points (so its always just a line) and the line path has a gradient applied, so it now looks like a tube, or blood vessel - is there any way to merge the two paths so they appear to be more organic with no abrupt seams where they overlap. I have asked researched this and have asked around and do not believe there is a way, but thought to post on the Forum to see if by a miracle, any Illustrator guru knows. 

I have attached an example JPG

I'm not looking for a work-around, this I can do, I need to know if two path w gradients can be merged or not. 

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can imagine a couple of ways, but I am not quite sure how it should look in your eyes.

You mention that you already have workarounds. Can you post something that shows how it may look when you use one of the workarounds?

Also, which version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this arteriole work would be more of a problem if I neeeded to export a PDF or SVG, fortunately I can touch up in Photoshop with the smear tool to blend some of the rough looking vessels. 

I've simply noticed over the years, looking at free vector anatomy art online that most vector images fail when it comes to blood vessels and threadline connections. The gradient mesh and spot transparency option offers some remedy, but again an ability to merge gradient paths would be a complete solution. 

I tried to submitt an Adobe product recommendation, but for some reason the submission failed, oh well. 

DD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your "gradient_merge" doesn't look much different than your "paths.png" except the top path is over the other, it would look "cleaner" if under (as in your "gradient_merge"). I think the only way to do this as a true connected artery is to convert paths to outlines, unite in pathfinder, then build the gradient with various strokes in the apperance panel with different width strokes stacked, then create a graphic style to apply to others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you could make an opacity mask so that the joint area fades out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As many transitions as you are looking at, this is probably more work than you want to undertake.

I have not worked it to perfection, but I'm quite pleased with the result: adding a path with a radial gradient applied which blends into the existing gradients.

tromboniator_1-1624055457076.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works great @tromboniator! Much better solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I like the look of it, but I think Ton's solution is less fussy, and would be faster and easier for a large number of junctions.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My variation looks similar to Peter's.

A gradient, expanded, made into an art brush and applied with lighten mode.

brush lighten.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started to go that way, then distracted myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines