Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Link

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bo23755419pnwy_0-1648245516133.png

A friend sent me his .ai file, but I only see few of his layers and get this message saying couldn't find the linked file. What is he/ am I doing wrong?

Bo23755419pnwy_1-1648245562219.png

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your friend placed all these PNG files, but didn't send them to you.

Can you see them when you open the file in Acrobat?

In that case you could also create a new file in Illustrator and then place that file into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well yes, I see something else in Acrobat than in Illustrator, but can't see the layers of course (or at least I think you can't see them in Acrobat).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you haven't tried?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest I don't know exactly what you mean with place that file into a new file, what file should I place in there? The .ai file? I tried that but it doesn't show the layers, only the opening image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Place the AI file with the missing links into a new AI file.

Please see this about Illustrator files: https://youtu.be/IpDh8Y7q8yE

Illustrator has a special way of saving native files. You should know this in order to be able to set the correct options and to recover some of your artwork when things go wrong. More info about saving files in Illustrator Saving safely: http://vektorgarten.de/illustrator-saving-safely.html ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If intend to work with this file in any substantive way, your friend needs to send you all the links. The easiest way is for them to use the File > Package utility in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines