• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing main menu on Mac (file, view, windows, etc)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I just started using AI on a Mac computer for the first time and it is missing the main menu options bar with file, view, windows, etc.  Does anyone know why it is missing and how I can get it to show up on the Mac computer?  

I have used it on a Windows computer for a few years and did not have this problem on the Windows computer.  Thank you!   

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

On a Mac, that menu is not part of the application window but an intrinsic part of the OS. It may be on your main monitor or every monitor depending on your system settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Hi @Kimberly G 44,

Thanks for reaching out. I agree with Doug. The menu bar is a part of macOS. Would you mind restarting your Mac and checking if it reappears or not? Also, it is possible that the menu hides or unhides automatically. Please check that in the macOS System Settings > Desktop & Dock > Menu Bar > Automatically hide and show the menu bar > "In Full Screen Only" is selected.

Anshul_Saini_0-1669396253522.png

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you launched Illustrator and it wasn't there?

Do you have additional monitors attached? If so, please check monitor settings. Do you spaces or any of those things activated in your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried unplugging my second monitor, but looks like I have an answer.  I have never used a Mac before and did not realize that the main menu is part of the OS and is at the top of the computer itself instead of inside of the program.  Thank you for trying to help!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, that menu is not part of the application window but an intrinsic part of the OS. It may be on your main monitor or every monitor depending on your system settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I have never used a Mac before, so big learning curve.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kimberly G 44,

Thanks for reaching out. I agree with Doug. The menu bar is a part of macOS. Would you mind restarting your Mac and checking if it reappears or not? Also, it is possible that the menu hides or unhides automatically. Please check that in the macOS System Settings > Desktop & Dock > Menu Bar > Automatically hide and show the menu bar > "In Full Screen Only" is selected.

Anshul_Saini_0-1669396253522.png

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I appreciate your response!  Now I won't be going crazy, at least for this one thing about the Mac.  😄  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy to help, @Kimberly G 44. Please feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. We will try our best to help you out.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines