Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

More complex pie charts

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2015 Feb 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'd like to create improved pie charts with effects like this without doing them by hand :

Sans titre - 1.png

I'm bad at scripting in illustrator, but I'd like some effects like the slice's size variations and the text orientation.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Thanks heaps for the feedback.

the issue, as far as I can make out is due to me comparing to strings, I have now passed them as floats so it should work now.

the new version can be downloaded from here:

QwertyFly.com

please let me know if you come across any other issues or bugs.

thanks again..

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
Sorry I don't come often, I'm very busy these days.
I didn't expect this thread to bring that much activity. That's very encouraging.
I promise I'll take a deep look at it this evening when I come home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😉 No need to be sorry I was just kidding. Yeah imagecollection did a great job running with this idea (so far, still waiting to see a fancy UI 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been tossing it about i bit this arvo.

and is starting to come together.

I'll have something you can all have a squiz at next week.

I have a 3 day weekend up now and a fair bit to cram in.

sneak peak...

pp.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got my fork and plate ready as that looks like a mighty fine piece of pie (maker) on the table. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must be hungry by now, I am...

if you have not already eaten your plate give this a bash...

http://www.qwertyfly.com/files/PieMaker_Ver-1.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done! I liked and learned from your "Add Slice" button, I didn't know the layout manager is used to grow windows and show new added stuff on them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌thanks, I've been enjoying the scriptUI side of it as well.

knowing how they work better gives me much more I can do with other scripts.

i Can probably apply a lot of what I have learnt to the on going script panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job imagecollection, great effort and outcome with everything you did in this thread, thanks for sharing all your efforts. Just curious, where do things go on from here, any further plans, features?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it could just keep going...

As you stated in a previous post allowing import from txt or csv would be good.

and I want to add the values in there, or to a legend I guess. but not sure how to display it well. suggestions please...

I was also thinking, auto save last values, and a button to load them.

and like the "add slice" button I want another button to add more inner pies.

right now it handles blank cells fine, but would freak out if text goes in a number field. and will produce strange effects if inner is larger then outer.

this due to not adding all the required idiot proofing. so I want to idiot proof it more.

1 thing I am not to happy with is the coloured edit boxes not filling completely to the ends...

but how far do I let this go???

does it need the ability to set a dropshodow offset?

what about inner colour intensity based on is percentage on the outer slice?

how about a 3D extrude? (actually I think that would be cool)

but then do you need to extrude the inner pie sections more?

and the text, do we extrude that or leave it flat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hahaha can't control your pie addiction?

what's next? I vote for a commercial (?) charting script to rival 25 year old chart tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I indented the code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed!! it looks much better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2015 Mar 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just, wow.
Thanks a lot, this is really great work, and should even be implemented in Illustrator (is this even possible in the future?).

I already used it in my work to show how many events my association has done by thematic, and in the same time how many people it brought :
thématiques et nombre de participants.png

Sans titre - 1.jpg

Though I realized how hard it is to tell if the inner surface is the same as the outer. Here for example, the brown area is equal to the blue area. But we feel like there's more brown, it's quite an optical illusion :

Sans titre - 2.jpgAnd now the radius of the brown circle is half the radius of the blue one. But now we really feel like there's less brown.

So I don't see any better solution. Maybe the best would be to have the choice and see in your case which one's the best. But anyway, that was a great job you did and I'm really pleased of it, and definitely using it.

So thanks again !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2015 Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going through this and I just keep going "Oh I didn't know you could do that" and here I am thinking I was an artist...

Very well done imagecollection, I tip my hat to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated PieMaker

Version 1.002

http://www.qwertyfly.com/files/PieMaker_Ver-1.002.zip

-Fixed justification of text labels on left hand side of Pie for simple updating after the fact.

- Added validation to entry cells, inner and outer values will now only accept numbers, and inner values must be lower than outer values or between 0 and 100 for percentage based segments.

- added validation for the colour cells in the style tab, these will now accept a typed hex code, and will accept a 3 digit hex value.

- Fixed the colour fill of the edit boxes in the style tab to completely fill the box.

- Fixed the bug where the cancel button in the colour picker caused crash of script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very useful to this day, thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know it's getting some use.

I enjoyed doing this one.

it was this script that got me thinking about bezier curves and the math behind them.

I'm playing with a script at the moment that can remove points from a curve without modifying is path.

the math is a bit beyond me, but each time I dive back in to it I pick up a little bit more.

When I get it to a workable addon i'll post it for testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have one question: I'm using Yosemite Mac and the color picker has no OK or Cancel button at all, so pressing the little red returns the color value. However, it also seems to close both the child dialog that invoked the color picker, and also the parent dialog from which the child dialog came. Placing an alert after the color picker returns the color prevents this undesired effect, but I'd rather not do an alert every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a mac to test on.

the colour picker on windows does have OK and Cancel.

I just ran the PieMaker script

when I press x it does not return the colour.

I can only get it to return the colour with the OK button.

And it does not close any of the invoking windows.

is this with this script or are you using the colour picker in a different project.

Post a screen shot of the colour picker for me. I'm intrigued to see how mac display this window...

there must be a way to get the value without resorting to an annoying alert.

pie.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a Yosemite thing.
Here you go, it's another great adventure!
As you can see, there are a bunch of little icons which provide views for all kinds of cute little picking options, but nothing in terms of an OK or Cancel button.
Using the returns the color, so does using Esc, and Enter does nothing.

Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 2.35.42 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-30 at 2.35.58 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this one may be difficult to get around.

mac has changed the picker from a dialog to a palette. (to use scriptUI terminology)

Where is the color picker ok button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2016 Apr 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,
I'm experiencing a bug with Pie maker 1.002.
With  the % box unchecked, if the first digit of the inner value is superior to the first digit of the outer value, the inner gets red and the OK button gets greyed out, even if the outer value is by far bigger. In the opposite situation, the inner stays black and the OK button works even if the inner value is way bigger.

This doesn't happen with version 1.

Is it the same for you ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks heaps for the feedback.

the issue, as far as I can make out is due to me comparing to strings, I have now passed them as floats so it should work now.

the new version can be downloaded from here:

QwertyFly.com

please let me know if you come across any other issues or bugs.

thanks again..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. is the mac color picker still an issue?
if an alert kinda fixes it could we call a hidden window and have the redX close that?

not sure if it would work or not.

but if it is still happening with macs then I'll look at finding a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fix. It works for me now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines