• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

move several objects together

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a quick way to move several objects together in Adobe illustrator (so that there is no gap between them but also no intersection)? Specifically, I have a bar chart and I want to select all the bars (or a group of bars) and move them together with a simple command so that there is no gap between them but also no intersection. At the moment I push the bars together manually, is there an easier way? If there is, how does it work? If not, this would be an extremely desirable feature.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Print and publish , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Simon,

If applicable,the simplest way may be to Align>Distribute Spacing (vertically) set to 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the bars are a specific width you can use the align tool, specifically the 'Horizontal Distribution Centre'. All you need to do is work out the combined width of your bars, set the two outer bars at either end and then select all and align them.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 095733.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the chart still a live chart?

In that case aligning will not work.

Use the chart options instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a sketch that shows the initial situation and the desired result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normaly we have the data in Excel and prepare the graphs there. If we paste it into Illustrator the bars do not have the same size and are sometimes overlapping. What I do then is switching to outline view and manualy adjust the bars such that they do not overlap and have the same size. It would be great if there is a way to adjust the whole group. So that I do not have to adjust every bar itself.

Simon29023850n8dj_0-1679576133215.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon,

If applicable,the simplest way may be to Align>Distribute Spacing (vertically) set to 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As far as I understand you put the charts into Illustrator by copying them in Excel and then pasting.

Have you already tried to export a .pdf in Excel and embed placing the .pdf in Illustrator, just to check if there are the same overlapping issues or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines