• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving/scaling text on circular paths - broken!

Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be broken again in v 26.0.2.  This time if I move or scale (using standard pointer tool) a group that has text on a circular path on it, the position of the type on path gets completely 'cocked up'. If however you input a move or scale numerically via transform tab it is all ok. This is ridiculous for workflow and I can't believe fundamental stuff like this gets broken so often.

See attached screenshot for example.

I am running AI 26.0.2 on Windows 10 Build 19043.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  Try to edit the type on path to add any character, if you get the message about legacy text, update your text, then delete the character you added.
  2. Double click on scale tool and make sure scael stroeks is on. To my horror this most importnat setting got turned off in my recent update.

MikeGondek_0-1639753435560.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my previous reply they suggestions apply if you have

1 - text created in an older version before the type engine got update.

2 - applies if you have strokes  or effects on text

Additionally try copying the art, pasting in a new document, and seeing if scale tool works. The scale stroke and effects is on bottom of transform palette, when it is in expanded view.

Hope my suggestions assist you in troubleshootng this. Let us know if that art was created from scratch in 26.02 or older version. Lastly what font is that, might it be an older font technology or mutiple verison installed. Not sure why this works in transform palette but not scale tool, as both should enact the same series of instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok thanks Mike. Think I'm getting somewhere now.

1. Original art copied into a new 26.0.2 doc exhibits the same problems.

2. Fresh art created in 26.0.2 can be manipulated left right and centre with transforms done by hand with the selection tool and stays robust - no issues.

So it looks like the problem is with art that was created in older version of AI, that has text on circular paths, or also text boxes that have a rotation angle applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike

1. Editing text path -  no message about legacy text etc, all fine.

2. In my scale dialog box 'scale strokes and effects' was already on

Just done another scale on an object with text on circular paths and it's screwed up again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines