• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi Layer Merge (flatten)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a major issue merging my image. Wondering if someone might be able to give me some advice on how to go forward. I want to merge (flatten) the image so that all the overlapping layers are seperated. I need to do this to edit the colors and set it up for a silk screen. 

What do I need to do so that I can get the layers merged so they are not overlapping?

Please see the attached images to get a better understanding of the issue. 

20230103_121413.jpg

What it looks like before merger

20230103_121443.jpg

What it looks like after merger

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you do before:

• select all
  • object --> flatten transparency

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never tried to do a Flatten Transparency before... I used the standard setting and it doesn't look like it changed anything but how the layout is done in the layers...

After Flatting Transparency > Then Merger it still looked the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this built? Please show the layers.

Exactly how did you flatten it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have gone though and done a ton of Ungrouping because I thought that was the issue, so most all the parts are seperated now, and there are 100's of layers.

jamesb653387_0-1672781082298.png

There are still some Compound Paths and Clip Group's

jamesb653387_1-1672781172911.png

I have also Expanded everything so there are no lines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that tire has been built exactly how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry I dont know how to answer that or what your looking for. 

There are layers on layers

jamesb653387_0-1672781821748.pngjamesb653387_1-1672781850341.png

As you can see the layers are overlapping eachother

jamesb653387_2-1672781891387.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am searching for an answer to why your flattening ends up in a grey area overlapping everything else. If those were just layers stacked on top then the Pathfinder (from the Pathfinder panel) Merge would take care of it.

But this seems to be something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, I selected just the gray layer and its a Clip Group with many layers inside of it. 

JimmyJet_0-1672783175797.png

I am sorry but I will be AFK for a few hours, will check back later, once again thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that some Pathfinder operations could still take care of this, but in order to find out which, please provide the AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the undedited file, before I ungrouped a bunch of items. Any help would be outstanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the forum doesn't like attachments (also you cannot upload AI files). Could you please share it via Creative Cloud, Dropbox, wetransfer or the like? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. OK.

You need to outline strokes.

Unfortunately you have way too many clipping masks in there than is good for your workflow. Illustrator is extraordinarily bad at expanding (flattening) clipping paths. You will have to select each singe one of them in the layers panel, since they are so difficult to select on the artboard and then iuse the Pathfinder Crop on it. This doesn't even work when you select all of the clipping masks together.

Maybe make an action, so you can assign a shortcut to Crop

I have found one object that has reduced opacity, you should try and download the plugin Select Menu at rj-graffix.com to see if there are more. You will need to apply a light color instead of transparency.

I could not find out if after flattening all those masks then Merge will work.

If it doesn't, try Divide

After Divide you still need to Merge, because same colors on neighbouring shapes need to be joined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, Thanks. I didn't make this file I am just trying to work with it. I also provied you with the unedited version. I will see waht I can do, and try the crop. 

I appresheate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do not envy you for that task. It will be very tedious and having the result will certainly be rewarding. Best of luck with the file! If anything doesn't work out, please do not hesitate to ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines