• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple-artboard AI file when saved as PDF, produced one repeat page.

Participant ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done a 157-artboard file in Illustrator and saved as PDF. However the PDF turns out to have 158 pages, the last being a repeat of page 13. I sent to client without checking and felt quite embarrassed with no explanation to offer when she pointed out the error.

Upon doing some typo corrections, I resubmitted the revised PDF and got a response from my client that page 158 had reappeared! Red faced again.

My workflow started with doing 36 dummy artboards as templates, all text no images for price stickers.

Upon approval, I cloned them 5 times by option dragging to produce 180 artboards. Deleted 23 so 157 remained. I then filled each template with the necessary text by copy-pasting from a list provided by the client. Then saved as PDF.

I did a quick check of the AI file again and noticed that the label on Artboard no. 13 is “158 - artboard 225” (see attachment), while the number in the Artboard Panel is “13 Artboard 13.” Is there a clue here pointing to the error? Perhaps the way I duplicated the artboards was incorrect?

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

@Ton Frederiks Oh! You mentioned yesterday and I was holding out till you confirm the solution now. By selecting artboard 13 from Artboard Panel, I can see a double label when enlarged! Thank you so much. Just wondering how I manage to create 2 artboards one on top of the other.

13 atop 158_255.png

Thanks too to @Monika Gause@Anshul_Saini for their suggestions. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand your description. Did you check the number of artboards in the artboards panel? The only number that is interesting is the number to the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Monika Gause Yes, I checked the number of artboards in the artboard panel. All numbers 1 to 157 in sequence. But on the canvas all the numbers 1 to 157 are in sequence too, except number 13 which displays as "158 - Artboard 255" [see attachment A]. There isn't an artboard 158 on the canvas but there is one in the artboard panel [B]. On the PDF pg 13 is correct [C], but is repeated as pg 158 [D].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please embed screenshots in your post. It's imporssible to view them one by one as attachments. They take ages to load.

There have been other reports of weird artboard numbering. So maybe @Anshul_Saini could take a look at the file to give more clues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Monika Gause How do I embed the screenshots? You mean clicking the "insert photo" icon above instead of dropping into the attachment box below? Excuse me for my ignorance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Monika Gause How do I embed the screenshots? You mean clicking the "insert photo" icon above instead of dropping into the attachment box below?

By @forebrain

Exactly that one. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be that you have 2 artboards on top of each other?

Does it make a visual difference if you delete artboard 158?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @forebrain,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your AI file. Based on the information you provided, it seems that there is a discrepancy between the artboard numbers in the artboard panel and the canvas. The fact that artboard 13 is displayed as "158 - Artboard 255" on the canvas may indicate that there was an issue with how the artboards were duplicated.

To further investigate this issue, as Monika_Gause suggested, please feel free to share this Ai file with me (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/share-your-files-in-6-simple-steps/td-p/12967...), and I'll forward to the product team for further investigation.

Looking forward to your response.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I expected, you have 2 artboards on top of each other. Just select Artboard 158 in the Artboards panel and click the trash can in the Artboards panel to remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ton Frederiks Oh! You mentioned yesterday and I was holding out till you confirm the solution now. By selecting artboard 13 from Artboard Panel, I can see a double label when enlarged! Thank you so much. Just wondering how I manage to create 2 artboards one on top of the other.

13 atop 158_255.png

Thanks too to @Monika Gause@Anshul_Saini for their suggestions. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Ton Frederiks Yes, thank you. Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines